What's new
What's new

Clark forklift hydraulics not working

lfdiniz86

Aluminum
I have a Clark C300 forklift and it was leaking hydraulic oil into the engine, i was lifting something up when all the hydraulics stoped working. I checked the return like and i was empty. I am wondering if the pump cannot suck the oil since the reservoir is lower than the pump. Anyone have any ideia of what is happening or how can i make the oil get to the pump.

Regards,

Felipe

Perhaps over time, all the hydraulic fluid has leaked into the engine oil...are you gaining engine oil on the dipstick?

Depending on how fast that happened, and how many times the oil was changed in between, the hydraulic fluid level may be below the pickup tube. However that seems sort of unlikely. Usually engine oil is in single digit quarts and hydraulic oil is in single to low double digit gallons.

Another possibility is that the end-seal on the pump has gotten to the point where its now sucking in air, this does not usually bode well for suctioning up fluid.

Engine oil and hydraulic oil should never be able to mix. And if it somehow did, the mess would be huge, with a locked up motor more than likely.

Have you changed the hydro filter in the last 3 years?
How much oil is in the resiavour?
How many fittings can you touch that are not wet with oil?

It is common for seals to wear on input shaft to hydraulic pump. The seal keeps the hydraulic oil IN the pump.

Since the pump is gear driven off of assy drive on engine, hydraulic oil can only go one place, into crankcase.

Engine will not lock up, it will have an overfull oil level on dipstick, and start smoking as excessive oil gets splashed in cylinder bores..

Other end of pump is sealed, no seal to leak externally.

Yes pump can lose prime/suck air if seal is bad, or pump has a distance to lift up from hydraulic oil tank... A worn pump is also possible..

If hydraulic tank is low, or you have a hole/leak on suction pickup tube(in tank) or suction hose to pump. Pump will not have anything but air to pump..

The oil dipstick is full of oil, all its lenght. The Oilpan is full and is leaking from some releave spot. Its hard to know the hydraulic oil level, since theres no level or dipstick. One thing is sure, the pump is sucking air and as u guys said, its problably leaking oil from the pump seal. First thing i will do is remove the pump check all the seals, change the worn out ones, change the oil filter, i am sure its been more than 2 years since the last change. And last replace all hydraulic fluid. Done that, will the pump be abble to suck the fluid up, or do i need to do some sort of move to get the oil to the pump. EX: Get the front resevoir up so it levels with the pump??

Thanks for all the help!

Back