What's new
What's new

Do most forklifts under 15k capacity have floating differential or axle ?

Milacron

Administrator
Staff member
In other words, one wheel slips and the other wheel does nothing and you are stuck. Understandable on custion tire lift trucks but seems lame for that to be the case on pneumatic tire lift trucks. One exception I know of is Linde electrics which have electric motor on each drive wheel so if one wheel slips they keep going via the other wheel. Other exceptions ?

I've got a bunch-o hours aiming a cheap "Roanoke" yard forklift around,.... and getting it stuck in the mud.

It has a standard big truck axle, and no diff lock (which I have cursed many times).

I have resorted to spinning whilst applying the brake to try (ussually in vain) to get one wheel
stopped. Oh how I wish it had split brakes like my farm tractor (or a diff lock, there is a metal
cover in the center section to add one)

None that I have ever driven (4k electrics up to 30 k Hyster yard) have anything.

I have come to the realization the builders understand the "normal operator" is
pretty dumb, and it would always be left on, resulting in axle breakage.

I could not think of any forklift not having a differential. The tire wear would be incredible. Rough terrain forklift often have a differential lock for mud issues, not ever seen one on a warehouse type lift.

One my Cat GP18 over ten years on the drive tires, (pneumatic) the steer axle must have worn out 6-8 sets.in the same amount of time.

I suppose you could put a Detroit Locker in a forklift axle, if you could find one that would work. I don't know if any other lockers (except a manual locking diff) would hold up to the abuse.

Many "off road" forklifts have diff locks. But you probably knew that. I'm talking the kind with big tractor tires. My dad has a Case construction King with 4 wheel drive and a diff lock. Before that it was a Yale that just had the diff lock.

My lift has a diff lock, which is a small pedal by the brake. Caterpillar R-80, it is a rough terrain lift. I was also under the impression that only rough terrain lifts have this feature.

My two forklifts both pneumatic tire have open axles. The little one got stuck in a soft sandy spot while moving an air compressor. Even if it had a locking axle the mast is what got stuck.

The bigger forklift had a 4 wheel drive option. There was a picture of one logging, my guess is the 4 wd trucks had locking diffs.

Steve

Back