What's new
What's new

Any Leapfrog Owners on PM?

Napkin Artist

Plastic
After sending back my Makerbot Z18, I just got my Leapfrog XL machine up and running! Are there any users on the PM forum that are running Leapfrogs? Any mods, tips, tricks, tweaks or other things you can share that you have found useful? I am yet to knock out a "huge" print job and had a few issues that needed to be fixed before I could print at all. I already sprang for the Simplify 3D software which seems to be doing a nicer job slicing up the models and generating the g-code. I am looking forward to print a gigantic object... I will post it when I do!

After sending back my Makerbot Z18, I just got my Leapfrog XL machine up and running! Are there any users on the PM forum that are running Leapfrogs? Any mods, tips, tricks, tweaks or other things you can share that you have found useful? I am yet to knock out a "huge" print job and had a few issues that needed to be fixed before I could print at all. I already sprang for the Simplify 3D software which seems to be doing a nicer job slicing up the models and generating the g-code. I am looking forward to print a gigantic object... I will post it when I do!

You are unlikely to find anyone running such machine on this forum. Those that hang out here are usually too high up to spring for a "cheap" printer and thus only look at 3D Systems or Stratasys. I would recommend the reprap forums or the leapfrog forums if you wanted answers to your question, you may also browse the repositories like Thingiverse, Youmagine, etc... for parts for Leapfrog printers where you may get an idea for a mod.

You are unlikely to find anyone running such machine on this forum. Those that hang out here are usually too high up to spring for a "cheap" printer and thus only look at 3D Systems or Stratasys. I would recommend the reprap forums or the leapfrog forums if you wanted answers to your question, you may also browse the repositories like Thingiverse, Youmagine, etc... for parts for Leapfrog printers where you may get an idea for a mod.

Well then... Sorry to be so "low down" on the machine hierarchy! I think it is interesting that people are still paying for an overpriced machine like a Dimension/Stratasys. They haven't changed their machines or their prices for years. They do make a nice part. However, with so many other options out there for FDM/FFF, and so many clever people on this forum that surely have the talent to make a nice machine, I am surprised to find that there aren't more users of "cheap" or fully DIY machines!

Well then... Sorry to be so "low down" on the machine hierarchy! I think it is interesting that people are still paying for an overpriced machine like a Dimension/Stratasys. They haven't changed their machines or their prices for years. They do make a nice part. However, with so many other options out there for FDM/FFF, and so many clever people on this forum that surely have the talent to make a nice machine, I am surprised to find that there aren't more users of "cheap" or fully DIY machines!

Oh, I fully support the reprap and cheaper printers, have an i3 and Kossel Mini myself. I meant the others here are unlikely to provide any assistance from what I have seen in other threads here related to any sort of printer that isn't the two I mentioned already. They aren't too keen on printing in general here...

I think it is interesting that people are still paying for an overpriced machine like a Dimension/Stratasys.

Those machines look overpriced to you, because you're only thinking about your needs, and for those, they may in fact be overpriced. Keep in mind that most of the people here are making parts in a commercial, high-$ setting where "not bad" is "not good enough." With those high-priced machines, you can pretty much count on loading a file, hitting print, and coming back to a finished part in X hours, for days/weeks/months with minimal interruptions. With paid support, when that doesn't happen, you pick up the phone and someone comes and makes it work.

Of course all of this is expensive. But, so is having a machine that fails to print 5-10% of parts well the first time, or that can't print certain parts without a lot of fiddling to deal with the lack of support material or a heated chamber, or having an employee who costs $60k/year with benefits, who can make you $180k in revenue, spend most of a month futzing with a bag of bolts trying to get it to print.

Also, many people here eye the 3DP thing a little skeptically, especially with newcomers, because right now it is going through a major bull$#@! hype phase in popular culture. Media idiots are doing stories that make it sound like we will be printing iPhones in our kitchen before we know it. The guys here are professionals in the business of manufacturing, whose job is to deal with all the details that make the difference between something that is 95% there, and 100% there, like the difference between a part that is +/- .005" in quantity of one, and +/- .0002" in quantity of 1,000. So every time they hear somebody pipe up about how 3D printing is going to revolutionize everything, it's like a major-league player listening to some goober in a sports bar go on about why player X can't hit the ball right.

To be sure, there's a lot of bias embedded in there, too. The first steamships weren't a match for the best sailing ships of their day, but they kept getting better. Additive manufacturing may not take over everything, but as the technology gets better and costs come down, it will have a growing impact. Mori Seiki has a machine LASERTEC 65 Additive Manufacturing - A DMG MORI World Premiere in 2014 that is getting a lot of attention, and GE is starting to use SLS machines for turbine parts in a production setting. Personally, I tend to think it will be more evolutionary than revolutionary.

We have a few of them at work (the Creatr ones, no experience with the bigger version). I think they aren't very fast but that gives better accuracy than some other DIY machines. The design could be better though. They have some nice features and the materials used is less DIY-style as many others but the whole thing is relatively unstable and uses questionable design principles.

I cant find the pictures that i took to show the design things I didn't like. Did I mention that I can whine and moan about stupid designs all day? So take it with a grain of salt ;)

For example here: http://www.tctmagazine.com/download...eatr8.jpg?cb=59459fc51361f5fb9525edbc7584647c

Look how the toothed belt roller on the left is mounted. 2 regular nuts, a bolt and 2 washers hold a ball bearing. The bearing is the only thing that guides the belt, the washers just create extra drag and wear because they are not turning with the bearing. I had a good pic of it, can't really describe it clearly. For a machine of that price i am not impressed. But I do understand that they have to save money somewhere.

We also have a stratasys/dimension at work. Works flawless but the price of material is just too high. And I don't really like the way the machine is constructed. Oh well. Time to design my own printer (working on it!)

Last edited:
Mori Seiki has a machine LASERTEC 65 Additive Manufacturing - A DMG MORI World Premiere in 2014 that is getting a lot of attention, and GE is starting to use SLS machines for turbine parts in a production setting. Personally, I tend to think it will be more evolutionary than revolutionary.

I saw this thing... It is mind blowing. Super cool. You can't really compare any FDM/FFF machine to this thing. It is like comparing a Red Rider BB gun to a Sherman Tank. This machine is on a whole new level.

Of course all of this is expensive. But, so is having a machine that fails to print 5-10% of parts well the first time, or that can't print certain parts without a lot of fiddling to deal with the lack of support material or a heated chamber, or having an employee who costs $60k/year with benefits, who can make you $180k in revenue, spend most of a month futzing with a bag of bolts trying to get it to print.

Look how the toothed belt roller on the left is mounted. 2 regular nuts, a bolt and 2 washers hold a ball bearing. The bearing is the only thing that guides the belt, the washers just create extra drag and wear because they are not turning with the bearing. I had a good pic of it, can't really describe it clearly. For a machine of that price i am not impressed. But I do understand that they have to save money somewhere.

We also have a stratasys/dimension at work. Works flawless but the price of material is just too high. And I don't really like the way the machine is constructed. Oh well. Time to design my own printer (working on it!)

Yea, I must say that I am not overly thrilled with the construction of both the big machines from Makerbot and the Leapfrog now that I have owned both. But you get what you pay for! I thought that they must use one heck of a jig to keep everything aligned and square when assembling such a big machine. I don't think that they do. At least after putting some machinist squares on it as a rough check it doesn't appear that way. There is a pretty good reason why all of the build chambers are sized the way they are on the other "office" machines from Stratasys/Dimension. You just can't get away with sloppy design and construction spanning much larger distances as just a degree or two of inaccuracy become more appreciable. It appears that on both they just took what was working on the smaller machines and made it longer without much engineering considerations of the larger travel and movements required. Now that I have used both, I highly doubt that either product could produce a part that fills the build volume without failing. At least not without having to try a whole bunch of times to get a decent finished part. I am actually trading in Leapfrog XL for their new "HS" high speed machine. For the price of both machines I was expecting more. sansbury is right, there is a lot of fiddle factor needed to make parts on these machines. For the price of the smaller build machines, I really don't care if they don't work great, need repairs, tinkering, and tweaking to make parts. For some reason, anything over $5k I expect more... Probably because my car isn't worth that much!

Back