What's new
What's new

Yale Forklift Running Poorly.

crashtestdummy

Hot Rolled
I have an old Yale forklift, 6 cylinder, flat head, running on propane. The lift will start and idle, but it will often surge and miss when running. It seems to be better when it sits out in the sun and warms up for several hours, but this is a poor solution this time of year. I need a quick and dirty fix, I have a dozen + large crates to load, and the lift will be sold after that. Does this have a carb, and can I use carb cleaner on it?

If warming it makes it run better why not use a propane heater a while before you need it? Not an ideal solution but less time consuming than troubleshooting when you have work to do.

And yes, there is a carburetor.

If warming it makes it run better why not use a propane heater a while before you need it? Not an ideal solution but less time consuming than troubleshooting when you have work to do.

And yes, there is a carburetor.

I don't have a propane heater. Friday I parked the lift in the building and Monday it ran great all day. I parked it inside again last night, and to day it will barely move. It has also been sitting outside in the 65° sunshine.

Could it be a problem with moisture condensing? Are you seeing frost on the propane converter (converts liquid propane to gaseous). If you are you may not have proper coolant flow. These must have engine coolant circulating to prevent freeze up. Even on a 20° day the coolant adds some heat.

A bit of reading for your pleasure.

Partial 6 Cylinder Engine Forklift Conversion Kit

https://www.altfuel.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?search=action&category=IMP1

Look at the various parts between your air filter and the intake manifold. Compare to the pictures above and then ask again.

Didn't get a chance to examine the carb, but the regulator (No ID markings) looks this.

I took the regulator apart, and other than some oily crab, it looked OK (to my untrained eye). The lift will now only run for a few seconds. It sounds OK while it runs. Giving it any gas stall it immediately. There is a solenoid between the tank and the regulator and it makes a click when the key is turned to on.

Looks like a NOLF's model J regulator. Under the cover with 7 screws, there is what I call a "butterfly valve". It's a oval piece of metal approx 1.5" x .3" with a rubber pad on one side for a seal. If this rubber is cracked or deteriorated it will allow over fueling. The engine misses, sounds like it's bogging down and the exhaust will STINK. If the rubber seal is completely gone usually the engine won't start. In either case, the outside of the regulator will frost, even though your engine coolant is circulating through the regulator. When the regulator freezes up like that, the engine will shut down. After warming up, and thawing out you can usually restart. A rebuild kit is not expensive, and they come with instructions in the kit. You might have other problems with the carb, also. Good luck. PB

Your regulator is an IMPCO I think....
There are rebuild kits for the regs and carbs.
Brand new units are not that expensive.

You mostly need 2 things:
1.Fuel
2.Spark (a REALLY hot spark for propane, hotter the better)

And....sometimes weak spark or a bad coil can appear as a fuel starvation problem.
It's money well spent to retrofit a Pertronics (or similar) electronic ignition module and hot coil
for good spark after you verify the fuel system is operating properly.
If you're a handy machinist type, you could also retrofit a 6 cyl GM HEI Distributor to the engine.
It can be done......I have done it. And it's worth it as the hot spark eliminates a lot of the
stalling and rough running issues in any type of weather.

You might check the distributor for bushing wear. I have an old lift with a flat four and found the distributor is so worn you can open and close the points by gust pushing on the distributor shaft.

Make sure you are not low on cooling water. The evaporator/regulator needs a water to function properly. At least my Yale with IHC cub engine does.

IHC Cub engine = Continental Y112 ??

Not at all. International Harvester Co. or Continental. My regulator is very similar to the one pictured by the OP.
Without sufficient water in my cooling system of this Yale truck the system shuts down.

I think those cub engines are the Y112. I've got one of them engines that I use to power a home made welder.... but I've never seen one on anything other than IH equipment... Didn't know they sold them for use in anything else.

An engine made by Continental, yes... but not by IH. I think the Continental IY69 is about the same animal as the Cubs' engine.

....and that's all I know!!!

crashtestdummy: As TFPace says, if my coolant level is low, my old Datsun won't start. I just pour coolant in to get it above the crown sheet in radiator, then it will start. Some kind of sensor in it, seems like. Good luck.

JH

I got the old beast running finally. I bypassed the fuel filter and it ran until the tank was emptied (about 3 minutes). I filled the tank a few weeks ago, so I didn't think it was out of fuel. After screwing around with it for another hour, I figured out the tank was empty. I shouldn't have to leave it idling all morning so maybe the fuel will last a little longer.

Thanks for all the help. This site is really a wealth of knowledge.

Back