What's new
What's new

Priced forklift forks lately ? I ask as I got a price that sounds impossibly low !

Milacron

Administrator
Staff member
Class 4, six foot long forks... $110 a pair, brand new !! This from a wholesale forklift dealer. He got the price from his supplier and he seemed surprised that were that cheap as well but my repeated phrase "Are you sure about that price ?" was met with "yes"

If this is for real they have to be made in China or Vietnam....so that is worrisome. But then you figure the first one that broke the distributor would give up on them due to liability issues, so they must be ok so far... still, all that forged steel for the price of a pair of Nike Air Jordans just seems impossible.

Wow? If thats real my lift takes class 4 also....... (or is it 3?)

Could be like the time I bought a 2" thick plate of steel from Oneil. $200. Are you sure? "yes" Really sure please recheck. "yep $200" Then a call later. "um we quoted 1/4" by accident..."

I just called Budget forklift parts and they quoted $1000 plus $175 shipping for the same thing. $110 just has to be wrong.

A forklift parts dealer should know better. The sheer ignorance and incompetence of working-class America never ceases to amaze me.

Someone forgot to put a 0 in the computer when they were adjusting price. Get a quote in writing then grab them asap, unless you like the dealer, then do the right thing.

I called the forklift wholesaler back and once again said, now are you suuuuuure $110 is right ? And he says, yes ! So then I say...do you mind if I call the supplier to hear this with my own little ears ? He says, no problem. So I call the supplier... pretending I just want the price...they won't give me the price until I prove I am a material handling retailer. So I give my website URL which does show a forklift for sale (I think)....he say's ok... $830 plus $135 shipping.

So I spill the beans and tell the guy about the $110 including shipping and he says utterly impossible, someone screwed up...and I say, yup, thanks.

Of course it is possible (and I hope the case) that the forklift guys, being a much larger concern, get a deeper discount than I was quoted...but the possibility of their price being less than $750 or so is nil.

It still boggles my mind that the salesman at the forklift wholesaler thought the $110 figure was right as he has been working there for many years and should know more about this sort of thing than I do....guess not. :nutter:

OK - so what separates the two mindsets . . .

Person A - That is what they told me so and I asked and double checked and so it MUST BE TRUE!

Person B - This is what they told me and it sounded so ridiculous I double checked and they doubled down and verified the price so I dug a little deeper to confirm my suspicions and found out that indeed, of course it couldn't be true!

There needs to be a test - and I want to hire only (Person B) . . .

Start every day by watching an Edgar Allen Poe movie - everybody is going to die, nothing ever works out for the better, don't believe anyone and chances are, you will do your job better and make fewer mistakes.

This happy slappy crap where you believe everything you hear has to stop!

(can you tell I have been bit by the happy slappy crowd recently?) :willy_nilly:

Time to start playing the "Forklift Fork futures" market ?

Make some puts (or is it calls ?) on 100 pair.

I bought 3 full sheets of 2" thick MDF ,the quoted price was significantly lower than I had paid before ,I said are you sure? and they said yes , when I
went to collect ,the guy said "you got a bargain there ,that is what we pay for it"

I heard a month or so later that they had gone bust.

If the dealer is that clueless, he'll likely blackball you as being a PITA customer :D
No, that's the even stranger part, I have bought at least three forklifts from them before...no problems, great people. I would worry maybe the salesman is going a bit nutty but he got the figure from his "inside salesman" and the other one believed the ridiculous $110 figure as well ! (I know this as I could hear them yelling down the hall to each other when I asked who exactly quoted them that price) :drink:

I'm tempted to call back and tell them the bad news, but I think I'll just wait till they get the forklift in house for me to see (coming from their other warehouse) and not even mention it unless they ask. Then if I buy the lift will add the forks to the order and get a chuckle when they come back with tail between legs when "fork price reality" hits home :)

Back