What's new
What's new

Dallas Smith Corp trucks and trailers.

I wonder how they do the super low truck frames...convert the vehicle to front wheel drive somehow ?

slider-f-450-f-550-superlowfloor.png

Years ago, I was looking at vehicles for a mobile office setup. Local specialty shop had a bookmobile shell (new, unfinished) with this setup. At the time, the guy said they were using 4WD vehicles and removing the rear drive components, driving front axle via transfer case and driveshaft. I passed on the deal because it was about 10' longer than I needed/wanted to haul around. (Ended up going with a tricked-out box trailer instead.)

Chip

Years ago, I was looking at vehicles for a mobile office setup. Local specialty shop had a bookmobile shell (new, unfinished) with this setup. At the time, the guy said they were using 4WD vehicles and removing the rear drive components, driving front axle via transfer case and driveshaft. I passed on the deal because it was about 10' longer than I needed/wanted to haul around. (Ended up going with a tricked-out box trailer instead.)
Interesting... I didn't even think about buying one 4WD from the get go and just not using the rear parts. Wonder if they handle oddly, not being designed for FWD ?

No thanks. The classic rear wheel drive setup is somewhere around 100 years old without a better design idea to usurp it and about the most robust power transmission idea there is for a road vehicle.
Well I kinda doubt us penny pincher types that demand varied uses are their tarket market anyway. Probably is the Bees Knees for certain niche business uses. Best to plan on running the vehicle until it falls apart however as I suspect initial price is very high and resale very low.

Interesting... I didn't even think about buying one 4WD from the get go and just not using the rear parts. Wonder if they handle oddly, not being designed for FWD ?
Torque steering sob....

I don't see how the Dana 60 axle would hold up to the constant power.

Back