What's new
What's new

employer removed 2 large Okuma VMC's from service. Worth saving?

fstbk65

Plastic
My job has replaced two operational mills recently. They are still sitting in the back of the plant inside. They have been run 3 shifts 6.5 days a week. They are big. Not sure exactly what models but FLA draw is 105 and 125 amps respectively. 7000 series Fanuc controllers. They were taken out because they wouldn't hold tolerance anymore (our tolerances are a few tenths in many cases)

I don't know what they plan to do with them but they send machines off for scrap often. While the machine is huge and too big for a small shop or garage, would the controller/drives/motors etc be of any use for an old machine (of any brand) with a bad controller?

I don't know what they are planning for it but but it won't go back into service. It will either get put back in the shed for years and have parts scavenged off of it for other machines or they will have it hauled off. They replaced them with Doosan machines.

They look rough because the operators never cleaned them but they were running yesterday in the case of the larger one and 2 weeks ago with the other one.

Looks like they are both are MC-50VA's. One has a 20 and the other a 32 tool changer. 20" x 40" travel, 20HP spindle. We still have all the books on them.

They are most likely not Fanuc 7000 controls but rather Okuma 7000M controls. If they still run and are not completely shot, sell them whole. Those were workhorses

I'm asking around to see what is going to happen to them. No answers yet.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1422070771617.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1422070771617.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 295
  • uploadfromtaptalk1422070835141.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1422070835141.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 438
  • uploadfromtaptalk1422070859923.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1422070859923.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 383
Don't know what kind of boards and electrical components an Okuma uses and how common they were but if the machines were mine and they were too beat up to sell as a running machine for a decent price I would probably strip off all the electrical components put them for sale on Ebay and scrap the rest. A lot of older machines are worth much more in pieces than whole it just takes more time to sell them.

Thats a rough looking machine. Can't say I disagree with management decision here seeing as its probably a big company and can afford new machines to replace workhorses like this one.

Maybe ask if you can buy it from them. Sometimes companies don't like that though... selling stuff back to their employees. Possible liability issues. Selling it for scrap or to a third party removes this a bit.

Back