What's new
What's new

Video of Raymond reach truck that will move sideways...

Cool truck but what a dumb ass operator. Loads carefully banded, protected, and stickered and he pushes the bundle into position with the tips of the forks rather than repositioning the load on the forks. And he even had a spotter.

Cool truck but what a dumb ass operator. Loads carefully banded, protected, and stickered and he pushes the bundle into position with the tips of the forks rather than repositioning the load on the forks. And he even had a spotter.
I suspect the controls are rather complex on that thing....what say ye John ? BTW, the model is the "Fiddler"....not that it can play the violin...but as in Fiddler crab, that moves sideways, I guess....cute...

Yikes, I hope that's not a Raymond offishul video....buy that camera man a tripod.

However, is/are the wheels under the forks free to swivel ?

Watching him back into the aisle looks that way, then when approaching the stack,
he spins the steering wheel, but I can't see either the fork wheels or the back wheels
rotate until after he starts moving.

If they do swivel freely, then the controls must modulate the rear wheels ALA a skid steer ?

Looks to me like there is a single wheel on the front that steers. The other front is a caster. The rear wheels steer and must power it. I wonder if a computer figures it out or if you have to manually control the steers to do what you want.

I think my steel supplier uses those. They run up and down the aisles pulling bundles of bars off the racks.

Edit:

This video makes it look like maybe there are 3 wheels in the back. One large one that steers and powers it, and the two on the outside are casters. I'm not sure.

Raymond did make (I saw a pair at HGR) of a simple reach truck, but with the
fork wheels welded on sideways, to be used as small bar loaders.

Edit Again:

This video shows two wheels in the back. One is a caster, the other is a steer/drive wheel. So it looks like you steer the front wheel to switch from front to back to side to side movement.

Edit Again:

This video shows two wheels in the back. One is a caster, the other is a steer/drive wheel. So it looks like you steer the front wheel to switch from front to back to side to side movement.

This style truck has been around for at least 30 years (4D) type. Some use outriggers with reach and others use platforms with swivel casters and reach. there are at least 5 manufacturers.

This style truck has been around for at least 30 years (4D) type. Some use outriggers with reach and others use platforms with swivel casters and reach. there are at least 5 manufacturers.
5 manuf in small reach truck style like this....or just 5 manufacters of sideways lift trucks ? I've seen some of the others but was completely unaware of this compact reach truck style....which amazes me considering my near obscession with forklifts....... I've seen some weird forklifts, like the Bendi, the Drexel mast turning type...all sorts of strange ones, but somehow never managed to run across this Raymond type Fiddler until now.

Don,

Thought I would chime in. The controls are as simple as a standard reach truck with an added thumb switch. When you want to go sideways you just switch the Front Right caster wheel 90 degrees from where it normally resides and voila! One of the rear wheels is powered as on any other reach truck I have had or seen. The relationship between the driver and the pivot point is all that changes.

Never owned a Linde reach truck and would not put it past them to do something different. They are the best afterall. I have been to their factory close to you in Summerville, SC. Have you seen the Baker electric car at the Linde factory? Linde bought Baker a long time ago as I understand it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4Yq8z6hRwM

Markets Detail

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRwEXaHTwsY

Never owned a Linde reach truck and would not put it past them to do something different. They are the best afterall. I have been to their factory close to you in Summerville, SC. Have you seen the Baker electric car at the Linde factory? Linde bought Baker a long time ago as I understand it.
The Linde plant in Summerville was originally the Baker plant. I took a tour years ago when I bought my Linde 39X as a one year lease return from the Linde "outlet" store near the plant (see pix below....outlet since discontinued) Back then they only manufactured the electric pallet jacks and added options such as full enclosures to the forklifts brought in from Germany. I think now they manufacture some of the forklifts there as well.

linde50.jpg

Re Baker electric car...that sounds vaguely familiar but I was probably too excited about the pristine 39X, 6K capacity with side shift and fork positioning
about to come into my possession to pay any attention to it :cloud9:

Alas, I only kept the 39X about a year as I needed more capacity and bought a CAT 15,500 lb cushion tire that was nearly as manuverable as the Linde pneumatic tire and just couldn't justify having them both. Sold the Linde at small profit on eBay.

5 manuf in small reach truck style like this....or just 5 manufacters of sideways lift trucks ? I've seen some of the others but was completely unaware of this compact reach truck style....which amazes me considering my near obscession with forklifts....... I've seen some weird forklifts, like the Bendi, the Drexel mast turning type...all sorts of strange ones, but somehow never managed to run across this Raymond type Fiddler until now.

The Raymond And the Drexel Swingmast /sideloader would do the same thing- carry a long/wide load in a narrow aisle and there are a few German and European units that do the same thing whether it is a platform or outrigger type or even the Combilift made here in LPG or Diesel, and not sure if they offer it in battery power?

Back