What's new
What's new

Workshop Unimog: Like or WTF?

Antman

Aluminum
Saw this on our local Junkmail. A fn Unimog with a crane. Would it even have the torque, the gears and the C of g to venture onto the high way?

Ant

Attachments

• Wkshp Unimog 01.jpg
    Wkshp Unimog 01.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 947
  • Wkshp Unimog 02.jpg
    Wkshp Unimog 02.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 884
That is a sweet shop vehicle. The only drawback I could see is that the bed isn't very long. You probably won't get stuck in it though

Ha ha ha. RC99 can eat his heart out.....

I'm just really, really glad it's nowhere near me, because I'm sure I'd find some way of buying it.......

PDW

Its about like my 6x6 deuce and a half that has 46s and a pto 20k winch on it for practical........... machinist that is:D

the above is my daily right now, as my 07 cummins 4x4 ate its trans and is getting a built one currently.

Saw this on our local Junkmail. A fn Unimog with a crane. Would it even have the torque, the gears and the C of g to venture onto the high way?

Ant

Driven Unimogs have you? ...................... think of them more as a high speed tractor than a truck, the slowest I've driven was good for 40mph, it depends on their specification.
In the UK a lot are used by power & phone utilities, extreme off road performance with a reasonable on road capability to get to the job site.

One day my series land rover hopes to grow up into a Mog, they make a humvee look like a soft top sports car off road. Or one of the older style Scamel tank recovery trucks, there equally bloody gorgeous with true go any were drive through anything capability. FYI you don't buy these for high speed cornering on tarmac. Or for the economy’s of high MPG. For that 2 wheels is always a winner :-) FYI if i ever become rich, then i want a helicopter and the Scammel.

Till then i have to slow for larger pot holes and also try not to get stuck in really deeply rutted tractor tracks :-(

A local steel erector used to run a Unimog with a Hiab as a mobile crane for years ,they use telescopic handlers now. I reckon that Hiab would reach at least 30 probably 40 foot in the air.

We had one working here last year which was brand new ,it was fitted with an insulated platform for working on live overhead lines ,it was a big bugger and I have to say did seem quite unstable .

Yeah with a large hiab on the back there top heavy and you could roll it if you tried hard enough. But that comes with driving any top heavy truck. Your driving it for the capabilities it offers you, in return it also places some limitations on how you drive. They will like most long suspension travel trucks roll a fair bit going around corners any how, just the nature of how large travel suspension is.

Couple of machines we had to use always looked good until you put weight out the back, either on the linkage or imposed drawbar weight, then not at all happy, getting stuck, make a mess, generally all wrong.....I guess that's why they always seem to be teamed up with drawbar trailers in sales pictures?
Richard

Or one of the older style Scamel tank recovery trucks, there equally bloody gorgeous with true go any were drive through anything capability.

I had to look up what a 'Scammel' was.

Great. Now in addition to an EMD E series carbody locomotive and a Douglas DC3, I now want a Scammell.

Scammell.jpg

Highway? Why would one take a 'mog near pavement?

Newer ones (IIRC since the 80's) can and have been fitted with "high speed" rear ends that can achieve highway speeds. I would imagine with grippy, knobby tires its loud as fuck but it can be done.

My wife got me a Lego 'Mog for last years valentines day, bc we can't afford the real thing (yet). But if you do mobile repairs you won't find a more badass shop truck. I've always wanted to buy one and put a compressor and welder and toolboxes on the back.

When I was a school kid ,the local council used to use one to pull the library van ,not sure what that was all about.

Thanks for the interest, guys. The Mog has been sold already after only 4 days on JunkMail. South Africa is quite a vast country. Johannesburg or Durban to Cape Town is around 1600km (1000miles). I'm still planning on setting up shop near Cape Town but most machine tools for sale are in the Johannesburg area. The Unimog was sold for a really good price, I think, about US$17000 equivalent. I suppose I should be looking for something with a bit more speed on the highway to help with the move from Eastern Free State to Cape. Of the 1200km from here to Cape Town about 1100km is only 2 lane highway, 1 up, 1 down, with many uphill spots 2 lanes uphill, 1 lane down.

Yeah as things go they hold there value real well, i have never seen one cheap over here either.

Could be because everyone wants one.

Not me :)

Had to drive them around often enough (US ARMY calls them a SEE)

Must have had high speed gears, 50 mph was doable.

I am fairly tall, and having feet jammed to right while driving... hurts..

With the little front bucket and folding Hiab style rear bucket, it bounced badly front to back on road..

The goofy $$$$$ reduction gear bearing setup, on the Mog portal axles, leaves me less than impressed

Part prices are outragous, A good offroad machine that can do anything a Mog can do, can be built far cheaper (than a new Mog) and have common repair parts.

Cummins Diesel, Rockwell axles,etc..

A common JD 410 tractor will out work the Mog, go most any place the Mog will, and go down the road at 17 mph.. With no plates needed... 10 ft turning radius (using steering brake..)

Back