What's new
What's new

If you need to pick cherries in heaven before you die, here's your bucket truck....

Friends of mine running a 92' "bucket on a stick" plain manlift, no truck.

Winds howling, they said (doing winder replacements at the full height)

"The basket is moving about 2'-3' today when your up there" plainly, with no
fear at all, just matter of fact-ly.

NO THANK YOU....

holy Moses is right! 50 footers are scary enough! i get pretty scared sometimes and get locked up , and can't move my hands enough to push the controls to get down. haha.

image.jpg

The boom lifts that let you drive while elevated would be the scariest to me. I've only use a scissor lift, but driving one of those with the platform 20 feet up scares me enough. The controls on them are hardly delicate enough for the given task.

I'm suffering altitude sickness symptoms just thinking about it!

"Ya mean ya want me to jump out of a perfectly good airplane - the plane's not on fire or nuthin but ya still want me to jump out?"

Not for me. I once had to put oak trim around the top of a school gym. Welder was a complete hack and his welds looked like chicken crap. Trim was to hide the welds. 6x6 L shaped lengths on a 4x8 scissor lift with bed extended to 12 foot. When maxed out at the peak it was very hard to screw the pieces into the steel. As you pushed on the screw gun the platform would move away.

I wish we had a bucket lift when I was an electrician, I was working at Minneapolis St Paul international putting switches on the sliding doors to shut the heat off when they opened them for a plane. I don't remember for sure how high it was but the older I get the higher it seams like it was. They worked on 747s in there so it was pretty high. We built up a scaffold to get up there, pulling each section up with a rope. It must have been about 70' or so. Building the scaffold took longer than the work. It was not bad to work off of while the door was closed but they had to open it a few times while I was up there. That thing would sway a lot in the wind! I was low man at the time so I got to work on top.

These things are only meant to lift two guys and hand tools- maybe 500lbs, max.
I have never run a 105' lift, but did a job some years ago that involved ballet between 2 90' lifts and a 120' crane, setting a part on a bracket that had been pre-installed.
90' booms will sway plenty. And even on "turtle" mode, you have to have a very light touch when swivelling one of these at full reach from the bucket.
We were working up against a newly finished glass building, and swinging too far would have meant paying to replace an 8' x 10' panel of double wall, mirrored glass.
And after that, we had to do a bunch of tig welding up there, at 90 feet.
In the dark. We could only get a street use permit after 7 at night, and by the time the crane work was done and the welding began, it was 11. We did get a pizza delivered to the sidewalk at midnight, though, for lunch break.

Back