What's new
What's new

Trying to determine the purpose of this 3 leg sling

JoeE.

Titanium
Bought these at an auction long ago. Brand new. Never knew their original purpose. Kinda curious what they're used for.
I did a little google search of the name Marcal (off the sling ID tag) and didn't find anything. I searched some other rigging equipment sales sites and still didn't find anything that resembled those "clamps" on the end of these chains. I think "2000 lbs" is stamped on those clamps.
0512151113.jpg

0512151153.jpg

0512151154.jpg

I used them to lift some plates today... 1-1/4 thick about 3 foot square. They worked, but don't seem like the right application.

0511151846.jpg

The chains look a bit long to be a barrel lifter, but I bet it's for something round. like round plates or a round tank of some sort.

horizontal plate hooks for round material. CM is Columbus McKinnon. Call Marcal and see what the original app was for that serial, it's probably custom for manhole covers or heavyweight frisbees or something.

They remind me of a bottle opener.
So I am thinking something shaped like a bottle cap.
The hook would go under the lip and the angled part would keep it from dropping off.

Is it beer thirty yet?

Worth remembering that a hell of a lot of lifting chains out there are custom made ones. Its really cheap to get exactly whatever leg lengths, leg numbers, hooks, ratings and such made up at a typical lifting place.

Whilst a lot of catalogues list std chains, a lot of actual decent lifting gear suppliers have all the parts in-stock to make up what ever you need + load test and tag it. Oftern for surprisingly little more than std chains too. The people i use to use over here in the uk had no issue what so ever in you supplying your own ends and so long as they could load them, would happily test them and certify them too. They would also modify existing chains and so long as you paid to have them retested -tagged were just fine doing so, either shortening, lengthening or adding - removing legs. They really were one of the best - most customer focused suppliers i have ever dealt with.

Back