What's new
What's new

moving small milling machine

pegleg1488

Plastic
Hi I was wondering if anyone knows a good and cheap company or someone to help me move my burke millrite milling machine thanks

Most Burkes are pretty lightweight machines. If you do some searching, you'll find there are many ways to move the mill yourself. Riggers tend to be expensive but worth it if you have a large machine or if where it is sitting requires professional rigging.

Teryk

I don't know the details of the proposed move but this may help.

I moved my Bridgeport and a much lighter Skyline lathe using a straddle dolly after studying various examples.
I bolted two sections of angle to the Bridgeport base in the usual manner for future pallet jack access, but I left extra length to bolt two sections of 4" channel (it was handy, use whatever does the job) perpendicular as "outriggers" to prevent tipping. I bolted casters to the outriggers rather than welding so I can use the setup without them.

This made it a breeze to winch onto trailers with a comealong (much love for Wyeth-Scott).

I later helped move a much heavier Bradford Metal Master for a friend by bolting channel (orange in pic) under the base then lowering onto some pipe and welding it in place (you could bolt instead if you wish) to get the same outrigger effect. That was a (relative) breeze to manipulate despite fighting rotten deck on a borrowed trailer and traversing some questionable wooden shop floor. The pipes kept a rather tippy lathe (to judge by how it behaved when sling-loaded onto the trailer) fully controlled and stable.

The Bradford owner bought a 4x10 steel plate we inserted under the lathe as a load spreader. We got the lathe for 300 bucks at zero notice so the small gunsmith shop wasn't ready for our urgent move indoors to beat the flooding from Joaquin. The outriggers allowed enough room to get the steel underneath with some fiddling... Owner is happly rid of his ChiCom hobby pseudo-lathe and making chips.

Pics aren't great but you'll get the idea. Scrap steel prices tanked recently so check your local scrap yard for metal if you don't have a stash.
Bport straddle dolly.jpgBP in ISO.jpgmetalmaster.jpgStraddle dolly lathe movement.jpg

Burke millrite milling machine is not a heavy machine. I just moved a somehow heavier mill by loading it on a Uhaul trailer using an engine lift. The trailer is only about 15" high from the ground, so attaching a couple of slings and lifting it is quite easy.

Same suggestion from me as above. Rent a small trailer, buy or rent a folding engine hoist.

I would suggest hunting up some lifting slings and a handful of decent (as in, looks like COMPLETE overkill!) ratchet tie down straps.

If you have any significant amounts of smooth level surface to traverse, a pallet dolly would be pretty handy too.

Other than that, lower everything that can be lowered, to keep it from being any more top heavy than it is, remove the head, if you can, for same reason, and then it becomes a process of think lots and move with care.

Cheers
Trev

Back