What's new
What's new

Kind of OT. Need to pull Lathe on to truck.

Andy221

Cast Iron
I need to winch my Lathe (14x36 L&S model X) onto a wrecker truck. I don't see a problem wraping the strap around the base and using it to pull it up, but I wanted to see what you all thought about it. I mainly want to make sure the base can handle it.

Holy crap! Lathes are top-heavy and will roll like a lassooed alligator given the least chance.

Bolt the lathe onto a stout BOLTED (not nailed) timber skid at least 3 ft wide before you attempt to pull it onto a flat deck wrecker,

When you tie the machine down, don't just throw a binder over the bed. Use 4 tie down points one at each corner looped through the bed and back to the binder. This holds the lathe from sliding fore and aft and side to side and the width of the skid keeps it from rolling .

Needless to say, pad the bed and protect the shafting from the rigging and tie downs.

How much it the lathe worth? It should be worth at least $100 in 4 x 6's and two hours of your time.

Hard to tell how its built from the pics I googled, but I'm guessing (even though yours is a shorter one) that it sits on two pedestals. If you've got the time, I'd run a 2x8 under each side and bolted to each pedestal to help prevent anything from catching as it slides and to add to the rigidity of each pedestal.

I slid my SB 16 (a far crappier pedestal/leg combo than your L&S) onto a trailer with the above 2x8's arrangement and it worked well.

Brent

Forrest Addy beat me to it, but I like his upgraded 'timber skid' description better than the shadier 2x8's I suggested.

And +1 with his comments on top heavy. The first lathe I went to look at years ago had a cracked bed (not mentioned until I saw it) from tipping over while being moved.

Brent

Thanks and I knew I should have posted pictures. Here's the best pic I have right now. I have a good set of skates for it. I will address the tipping issue. My other concern was can the base handle the weight of pulling?
2d6wgv7.jpg

I have a good set of skates for it. I will address the tipping issue. My other concern was can the base handle the weight of pulling?

I would use black pipe underneath the skids to just roll it on the ground. But not on the truck.
If you place wood skid under the lathe then all you do is pull the skids.

Nice lathe. Is it on that trailer now? Many of the machinery movers I use fabricate up a "sled" out of some 1/4 flat steel plate that slides under the legs and the front edge is bent up at a 45 degrees and has square steel stock welded on the plate a couple of inches behind the angle bend. Then they wrap a nylon strap around the front bottom casting and winch it up there tilt-bed truck.

The machine is top heavy and putting it up on skates on a trailer with a wood floor would be dangerous. By the time you do that you could probably tie down the machine and drive the trailer over to a local lumber yard or someone with a forklift and let them pick and move it. Might cost you $50.00. I see your up in Moorhead, are you a rebuilder?

I have roller skates for it. About 2" diameter wheels. Not on the trailer anymore. The pic is from a couple of years ago when I first got it.

Thanks for the advise guys,I am definitive going to modify my skate setup. I'm going to make it wider. I haven't heard anybody's though on the base holding up to force of of pulling it up, any thoughts?

And thanks Mr. King. It is pretty good shape overall I think. It needs a little more evaluation to be a 100% sure. I've had it for two years and hang been able to fire it up but, in the next couple weeks should have her going.

Ahhhhhh the lovely E bay blue. Why the hell is it hanging off the back of the tandem? Are you trying to destroy it or what?

That's a good looking piece of machinery. I hope you get it moved without any mishaps. If you'll pardon my bluntness, I think you should re evaluate your original thinking. Your concern is somewhat misplaced. Whether the leg will take the side pull of a sling pulling on it is a very small concern compared to not giving enough concern about the whole idea of tobogganing that thing up the back of a roll back. You are only going to get one shot at doing it and not totally destroying that magnificent lathe. I've moved many, many machines. I've got over 40 machines in my shop alone. Several lathes, from a 42" swing Boye and Emmes engine lathe to a double E Monarch. I've been fortunate to not lose any to rigging mishaps. You have to plan the move and be methodical. Them lathes will go over fast and once they start, you ain't stopping it! A good stout skid that is wide enough to preclude tip over is great. Use at least 1/2" bolt with washers under the head of the bolt and the nut. Counterbore the holes on the bottom of the board so the head is not sticking out and even a little deeper. My personal favorite is full size, rough cut oak 2" X 12" with cross ties. Cut angles on the ends of the 2x12 skids so they don't catch on things.
Oh yea... The leg should be more than stout enough to allow you to pull on the lathe

Steel plate would be the way to go. I don't think you are supposed to apply sideways pressure to the stands. I would not do anything that would involve more force being applied to one part of the ways than another.

Also, rather than drag the sled onto the truck, it would be better to either buy or rent a 4 ton shop crane, install eyes on the plate and just lift it onto the bed.

Great, thanks for reiterating the importance of a tip over. I will definitely make sure I have an adequate skid to prevent a tip over, that part I am for surly capable of. I just didn't want to go through all of that trouble then break the base.

Back