What's new
What's new

Van Norman mill

Aprox. what year no. 16 and what kind of info...specs or the good, bad and ugly of operating one of Mr. Van Norman's creations ?

I would have to guess the mill is 1920s. I would like to have both kinds of info. I want to make sure that I can get tooling without spanding a fortune and the machine will be some what useful. I would have to put a lot of work into it and it only has the horizontil arbor.

Can there be anything bad and ugly about Mr. Van Norman's creations? I find myself completely enamored by their design, to such an extent that I may no longer be able to restrain myself from purchasing one. I fail to see any disadvantages to their design -their universality, their stout construction, power feed everything (22L), uniqueness and "interestingness" (I'm considering one with a "war finish" tag on it from the '40's), their age, and their US origin to me are virtues which could only overwhelm any bad and ugly demerits which could be attached to Mr. Van Norman's design.

That is, of course, unless you want to let us in on some doozies?

T.I.C. Salutations,
Giedrius

I've never used a Van Norman so was hoping someone else who has would pop in with the scoop. Only disadvantage I see is that they apparently didn't make a variable speed model and I'm pretty lazy when it comes to changing belts. But it looks like being lower down location, belt changing would be a bit easier to do than on a Bridgeport.

hello all..I just purchased a Van Norman Mill
I think the model # is 22U..mabe the "u"
stands for universal.This one has two 3 hp motors one for the spindle and the other for all other functions.Would like to have a operators and parts manual...any ideas?
Thanks,Larry

I owned a Van Norman horiz. once, good machine, not sure what model it was, big and heavy, 6,000 lbs?

Traded it off for a big lathe, 27x11'. But anyway they are good machines, the man I traded mine to uses it reguarly, he also has one of the universal, horz. vert. machines.

Back