What's new
What's new

Small Centerless Grinder

Barry Miller

Plastic
I acquired a small (1 1/2hp 3 phase main, variable dc regulatorregulator)manual centerless grinder from a dealer who frequents government auctions a while back (it's like new), and am back into getting it going. Got advice about who to talk to in the industry (Thanks to D. Thomas), but wondered if anyone else has seen a creature like this. It has 6"dia x3" main wheel(presently missing), 4" x3" regulator wheel (100 -100 diamond matrix) and the body of it is titanium. i.e. the bed, housings, sliding table, just not the screws, adjustable gibs and that kinda stuff. Talked to both of the owners of Crystal Lake Grinders, and one thinks it may be German or Swiss, but it was from Hanford labs and who knows who built it. I am now at the point of picking a main wheel so I can use it as a general purpose machine, at least as much as possible. I am thinking a diamond/CBN mix matrix 100(?)for the main wheel, and varying the speed of the main wheel from 3000 to 5000 SF/MIN. (Got help from owner of Crystal lakes.) This centerlees grinding is totally new to me, and would like some suggestions, cause that wheel ain't cheap for a hobbyist! I also have the arbor/spindle bearing assembly to replace/manufacture for the main wheel, guess someone liberated the whole thing when it was going to be surplused. Well anyway, let's discuss it.

So you're the one who had the little centerless grinder ? Sorry Barry, I didn't make the connection earlier. Now you've got me very curious about two things...what does Crystal Lake make these days and what does your grinder actually look like ? Can you post a pix ?

Regarding wheel selection and such, sorry, I'm no help there. I once owned an Elgin centerless grinder, which I think was made in Italy. It was larger than a Royal Master but smaller than the smallest Cincinnati and seemed to be built well. But I found out I could buy the 1.25 dia steel bar I needed ground, already "ground and polished" from my steel supplier, so I sold the thing to a friend and never even used it....one of those cart before the horse deals I was pretty good at
wink.gif

Back