What's new
What's new

New to me ancient monarch

Ron Thompson

Plastic
Hi, a new friend just pointed me in this direction.
I recently aquired an old Monarch and am looking for anything anyone can tell me about it.
I have pictures posted at: http://www.plansandprojects.com/My%20Machines/Monarch%20Lathe/
These were taken when it was first installed in my garage/shop.
I think it is a "B" model, as indicated by the numbers at the end of the bed.
After some cleaning and oiling the moving parts seem to glide! The ways appear to be in great condition. This appears to be a 19.5 X ~24. It is hard to tell with the chuck on. My first thought was that for longer work, I could make a tailstock that didn't eat up so much bed length!
It came with a large 4 Jaw ~14" IIRC that is installed in the photos, and a 8" 3 jaw, a faceplate that needs a backplate, a large steady rest that appears to be from another machine, guards (now installed) and a few lathe bits. It has a 3 phase Baldor motor with a static convertor and runs well and quiet. The back gear (2 speed) has a repaired tooth but it works OK. The 3 V belts ride atop the flat pulley and do not slip (not yet, anyway<GRIN>). I just bought a quick change tool post off ebay. A BX size for $35 new without tool holders. They are on there all the time, just search for toolpost. It may be a little small for this machine so I may put a block under it.
Thanks for any info.

Ron Thompson
48 year old machine shop student
On the Beautiful Mississippi Gulf Coast
USA

I've emailed you before and just managed to check out your website.

I've got my similar Monarch up and running now. Mine appears to be a 16 x 54(ish). It has a couple of repaired feed gears, but everything seems to work. I haven't leveled it or cut a test bar yet. My headstock has bronze bushings in it. I assumed that they would be babbitt, but perhaps it's been retrofitted?

I would like to tear down the apron and re-bush some of the shafts as they have a significant amount of slop.

May I ask where you found the documentation that you have on your site? My machine came with no documentation and the nice folks at Monarch claimed to have nothing.

Looking forward to making some chips!

Back