What's new
What's new

1954 10 EE

T. C. Roberts

Plastic
I have a 1954 10EE that I am rebuilding but some of the things about it don't match with what is on this site. For example it does not have the tube drive but the older model generator type. This lathe was made for the Navy gunnery school and once the crud and old paint was taken off it appeares to be in almost new condition. There is no wear on any part. All gears and internal parts show no wear at all. One other difference is the oil lines are all copper and not steel, was this somthing that the navy special ordered? I think that I got lucky and was the beneficiary of the navy's old practice of "shine it must,sail it might" any way I will appreciate any feed back. Thanks.

The motor-generator system was the one that preceeded the all-tube drive system, and is considered by some to be a better fit for the home shop. If you search for "Ward-Leonard drive" on the web you'll likely get all the inforation you need, and more.

As to the condition of your lathe - I am envious. Mine is beat up a bit, but with some more work should be a fine performing lathe. It's possible that yours went through some rebuilding process at some point in time, that would explain the condition as well as the copper tubing (but there are additional explanations, I'm not trying to limit things here).

It is interesting that you have the motor/
generator set. According to the Monarch timeline that would have been phased out in '49. Oh well. My '59 was a Navy lathe too,
but they used the $#@%^ out of it! At least they kept oil in it, but it was painted about 50 times!
eek.gif

The navy placed the order for this lathe in 1952, is it possible that they specified the motor generator? It is posible that it had a rebuild because the last inventory sticker was filled out in 1969. The condition of the lathe was dumb luck because I bought it on the net. Typical military it had enough paint on it to increase the fright bill by half. Thanks for the feed back.

There were several years when Monarch offered both the tube type drive and the motor generator. Since MGs are a lot less
work to maintain, you have a nice find. The
only drawback is that they are a lot noisier
while running. Make sure you check the brushes in the MG, the exciter and the motor; they are the same, but the brushes tend to jam after a few years crud buildup, so just make sure that the springs are actually doing their job.

The other maintenance item is the condition of the forward and reverse contactors.

-Dave

Back