What's new
What's new

A small issue

rke[pler

Diamond
Looking over the parts drawings for the cross slide there's a couple of different part numbers for the bolt/screw that locks the cross slide to the taper. In one drawing it looks like a slotted screw and has part number EE-1437, in the other it looks like a hex head bolt and has the same part number with the note "With taper attachment 405-2-C". Judging from the part numbers I've seen it appears that the 405-2-C is likely the hex head bolt. What the heck does the other part look like, anyway?

(I know, it's nitpicking, but with the bodges that I've had to fix I'd just like to know that this isn't yet another one I should be fixing).

On my 1977 10EE with taper attachment there is on the cross slide starting from the outboard (T.A) end a 3/8-16 SHCS, corresponds to part number 104-7 in my parts drawing, a slotted set screw/plug that doesn't come all the way out when I unscrew it (seems to unscrew a bit and then turn freely without coming out). This is part EE 2913 in my drawing. Then there is a hex head screw. My parts drawing shows a slotted head screw with part No. EE 1437 with a note "(with taper attachment-405-2-C)" This hex head screw must bind the cross slide to the T.A. on mine too, when tightened, the cross slide won't move (and the cross feed screw handle won't turn). I haven't tried using the T.A. yet, it needs some disassembly and cleaning. The photograph in my manual with the instructions for using the T.A. shows the same thing i.e. a SHCS, a slotted head screw and a hex head screw. (Is that what you were wondering-were you supposed to have a hex head screw or a slotted head screw there?) The T.A. instruction photo also must have an error. The instructions say to "Tighten drawbar clamp screw (F)", but in the photo the arrow from the letter "F" points to the SHCS! Am I right, the SHCS secures the cross slide nut?Anyone know what the slotted screw between it and the hex head is for?

The hex bolt is the taper lock. Its threaded into a little t-piece that rides on the underneath of the slotted bar that slides with the cross slide when locked. This bar mounts the endbearing for the cross-slide acme screw on the far end.

The slotted screw is the adjustment for the endplay in the acme screw nut. This screw is tapered and as you screw it down, it pushes and cocks the nut to take out the endplay. Rather primitive.
The allen countersunk bolt is the locking bolt for the acme-screw nut.
I hope this is what you'all are taking about.
Daryl

Back