What's new
What's new

Baileigh Band Saw - Zero Setting

TimD

Hot Rolled
Trying to lend a hand to another shop and they are having an issue with getting an automatic Baileigh band saw zeroed. Model is BS-20A
Automatic Band Saws - BS-20A | Baileigh Industrial

Of course they don't have the manual (that would be too easy :) )and so far they haven't been able to get a hold of Baileigh.

They had to replace the wire to the encoder and are now getting the error "Zero Setting Incomplete" I'm guessing they just need to rezero it but they don't know how...

I haven't been in front of the saw yet myself but will probably take a look at it on Monday. If anyone has any idea on the procedure or has worked with a Baileigh automatic saw I'd appreciate any insight you may be able to offer.

Tim

If this was a field repair of a damaged cable, I'd start there.

Case in point. I worked on a machine where a sensor cable got mangled. After an hour of trouble shooting and in spite of repeated assurances that the repair was good I looked at the cable. It was originally two very small shielded coax cables. It had been repaired with a pair of plain wires. So the shielding was missing over several feet of run and to compound the problem the designers had used the shield as the ground for the electronics in the sensor (not the best design noise wise). It took a week, but as soon as a factory replacement cable was installed everything worked as it should.

WAG here. Its probably something started from the touchscreen HMI to zero the encoder. There must be some other kind of sensor to compare the reading with (could be a limit or a prox). But, to prevent the encoder from being zeroed by Operator level access, there's probably some kind of special enable in the form of secret buttons, hold in until 1 beep is heard, hold again until 2 beeps are heard, hold again until 3 beeps are heard, then a new button magically appears on the HMI. I'm not saying that's the procedure (that's for a totally different machine, but sort of an example how Maintenance Level features can be hidden).

However, just pointing out that the manual is likely key to save time with the exact procedure. If it was me, I wouldn't go out unless its a 5 minute trip until that documentation was firmly in-hand...

It's marked as made in Taiwan. Was hoping to find a different brand that sold the same saw, might help with finding the info that I need but really didn't get very far with that search.

I tend to agree it could be futile if I'm not able to get a hold of a manual. I am curious to check the cable as they were going to check some connections from a previous repair that they had made to the encoder and/or wiring. It uses a rotary encoder that is attached to gear that rides on a rack. Just thought I would elaborate a bit in case it rings a bell with someone.

Back