What's new
What's new

Baileigh cold saw sharpener

M. Moore

Titanium
I just bought a Baileigh GS450 Cold Saw Sharpener.
Any one else out there have one?
I am just learning how to set it up and I am having trouble finding suitable grinding wheels.
Still looking for a source.

Cheers,
Michael

Good method is to being the parked wheel to the original new saw and look carefully to see the wheel matches the grind..Mostly for angle and height… and make a note of the settings.
If a double grind or more do the same for each grind...go around with a very light grind the first time around to get the feel for the machine..just sparking or even missing a few teeth is good..
Often one will mark a saw perhaps into quarters..then start the grinding at alternating starting places to avoid wheel breakdown caused run-out..back away for the next starring because it may be .005 / .015 or so more cut at the next starting place.
I have never ran that machine but it looks like a good outfit..
I would read safety rules carefully. ring test wheels, wear safety glasses and a dust mask..

I have been using a pink J46 on a Cinnncinati no2. It works well for me. Granted I don’t make money at it, but I can’t afford to turn away customers. I would follow TripleChip’s advise, better yet just pay him to do it. He has very affordable prices.

I have been using a pink J46 on a Cinnncinati no2. It works well for me. Granted I don’t make money at it, but I can’t afford to turn away customers. I would follow TripleChip’s advise, better yet just pay him to do it. He has very affordable prices.

Agree Triplechip has very affordable prices
But it sounds like the Op Michael has bought the grinder..likely the grinder has a wheel and a call to Radiak might solve what wheel is similar or good to use on his machine..looks like one can set up a saw and walk away..that is good.

For some reason I was not getting notified of the responses.
Thank you all for helping.
I have been very busy the last few months and did get a chance to call Baileigh the other day and in their defence they did call back, however it was at 5:50 am and I was still asleep. The fellow realized his mistake and offered to call back later but never did.
I will try and call them again to see if they have the proper wheels. I will also check out the links posted here.
I did get a chance to set the grinder and do some test grinding on some older blades that are too small for the new machine that I just bought. I found a 36 year old Walter/Eisele 11” semi auto saw that had never been connected to power, never cut a single piece of steel! Still looked very very new with just some minor shelf wear.....
Any way now I have two machines that need sharp blades. Need to get some wheels asap.

Michael

It took a while but I finally got some wheels. Had to order them from an outfit in Quebec, their supplier was in India I believe.
They only had two sizes and I had to buy ten wheels of each size, which will be three lifetimes of supply unless I break a few by mistake.
I never did get a call back from Baileigh, guess they are too busy.

So I managed to practice quite a bit and finally put a good blade on the machine and had a go at sharpening.
These machines have quite a few adjustments and no real reference point indicators so you just have to eyeball the settings and sneak up on the grind.
I got what looked like a good grind and then tried to make a cut, no good, didn't sound good or cut straight! So back to the grinder.
After four tries I got it to cut really well and really straight. The manual is not very helpful and is missing some key information.

There is an indicator to adjust the blade so the grinding wheel is set exactly on centre, very important for square cuts.
I finally figured out that "0" on the indicator is centre on a "0" thickness blade. So set the indicator to the thickness of the blade and grind away right! NO.
It was off by 1/10 of a mm and once I got that figured out I was able to make a good grind and a straight cut on the cold saw machine.

BTW, these are 16" blades I am sharpening and testing. I also had to adjust the hook angle because the machine was not grinding enough angle, so 30 on the machine is about 18 to 20 on the blade. That is a very hard to measure angle. It is so small and actually curves a bit due to the shape of the grinding wheel.

Getting a good grind on this machine has taken quite a bit of time and I am just sharing in case anyone else has a machine and wants to learn. I would assume these are few and far between given the price tag.

Now that I have a done a good grind and one more today I think I will be able to just set a blade on and resharpen in about 20 minutes or less and I can walk away, briefly.

Anyway I don't have anything against Baileigh but it is their machine and this is THEIR forum so maybe someone can respond?
I would like to find out if the master grind templates are available, the three that came with the machine don't match any of my blades tooth count. These are used if you have a damaged tooth and can't index from the tooth gullet. You can actually see one being used in the video.

Cheers,
Michael

Back