Baileigh CS-350M cold saw, maintenance, lubrication, etc.
Close
Login to Your Account
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Baileigh CS-350M cold saw, maintenance, lubrication, etc.

Hey everybody!

I work in a scenic fabrication shop, and I've been having some issues with my cold saw. The maintenance on it has been fairly poor, and it's nearly a back breaking job to get it to swivel to make a simple 45° cut. I've cleaned every part of it, changed fluids, but I'm still having issues (I imagine from the lack of cleaning over time).

Can I get any suggestions for deep cleaning products, or lubricants that will help break down the build-up that's causing this issue?

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If, like me, you use a water based coolant on this machine, then the only real answer is to periodically take the whole thing apart, and scotchbrite it all, oil it, then reassemble. With my 350 mm cold saw, this is a good day long project, and the heavy parts you have to lift off are two man jobs. 100lbs plus. I only do it every few years. But the combination of the constant water based coolant, and the constant ferrous chips, means it kind of rust welds itself together, and you have to dissassemble the table, and clean the two swiveling round contact surfaces. I suppose you could try a quart of liquid wrench, but I have found that is not a miracle cure. It can help, though, if the sticking isnt too advanced.

3. Likes BT Fabrication liked this post
    Country
    CANADA
    State/Province
    Ontario
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

all my swivel saws have gotten stuck new, all i had to do is take it all apart and lift it off the base.

while I was in there, I drilled and tapped a couple grease fittings around the base of it and put in a really good marine grade grease, sure you get the tramp oil in the coolant if you use too much, but 2 years so far and not stuck at all.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Tennessee
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderhorse View Post
    Hey everybody!

... back breaking job to get it to swivel to make a simple 45° cut.

Thanks!
    Like above stated you have to pull saw from the table every so often. Our scotchman has a tiny 1/4" pin that locates vice to table which also needs replacing every few years; I do it whenever I pull the saw apart for the scotchbrite (wire brush on cordless grinder followed by a quick block with 220 sand paper is my preferred method now). If it happened recently check the lock down cam bolts. They tend to loosen which closes the cam.

Country
    UKRAINE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

And what kind of coolant do you use: emulsion or synthetic?