What's new
What's new

The official Magnetic Brake thread

Baileigh inc

Aluminum
We get bombarded with question about our magnetic brake. I will just start posting up applications in this thread as they come across my desk. Feel free to chime in.

Last edited:
Here is the first one, click this link for the full story:

Sheffield Race Cars, Innovative Fabrication with the BB-4816M Magnetic Box and Pan Brake | Baileigh IndustrialBaileigh Industrial

3sheffield_zps896d0813.jpg

5sheffield_zpsa94ccb14.jpg

6sheffield_zps40bb4cba.jpg

7sheffield_zpsdef87323.jpg

1sheffield_zps6216473c.jpg

Our customers build the most incredible things with our equipment.

This is from the mind of Bobby Martins at Sadistic Ironwerks in California. He has a shop full of Baileigh equipment. The BB-4816M magnetic brake was critical when designing and fabbing the engine block.

Thank you for posting about this tool, I would like to know how does your product differ from the MagnaBend product that has been available for many years?

Charles

Thank you for posting about this tool, I would like to know how does your product differ from the MagnaBend product that has been available for many years?

Charles

Absolutely, glad to answer any questions you have.

Our magnetic brake is available in 4,6 and 8 foot variations. They have a 16 gauge mild steel capacity full width and are 220 single phase. Many of the magna bends were 110v and could only handle 18 gauge. The concept is the same, we just beefed it up a bit. If you would like to see more for those of you who have Instagram on your smart phones, simply search #magneticbrake

Our customers speak on our behalf with a ton of incredible projects and bending applications.

Charles
It's just a copy as the patents have expired. But as a copy goes, it seems better than the Roper Whitney (which was licensed in the day I think). I have one of the Baileighs, works pretty good. The concept is still unmatched for complex bends.

It's just a copy as the patents have expired. But as a copy goes, it seems better than the Roper Whitney (which was licensed in the day I think). I have one of the Baileighs, works pretty good. The concept is still unmatched for complex bends.

Have you seen the three finger Mittler Bros break? More traditional and pretty well thought out. I am still on the fence about this one. I always thought it was a great idea but... The student shop at GT has one of the magnabends and I wasnt really as impressed as I could be. Perhaps the idea of the higher voltage coil is better but I am still uncertain of that myself. If I get to thinking harder about spending money instead of kicking tires I may contact you about it. Have a Merry Christmas.

Charles

Have you seen the three finger Mittler Bros break? More traditional and pretty well thought out. I am still on the fence about this one. I always thought it was a great idea but... The student shop at GT has one of the magnabends and I wasnt really as impressed as I could be. Perhaps the idea of the higher voltage coil is better but I am still uncertain of that myself. If I get to thinking harder about spending money instead of kicking tires I may contact you about it. Have a Merry Christmas.

Charles

I haven't seem the Mittler brake, took a look at it on their website. Looks kind of neat for a finger brake. I have both a finger brake and the Baileigh. For ordinary stuff that the finger brake can do, honestly the finger brake is quicker. But for more intricate and difficult stuff the magnabrake is quite good. There are many things that it can do that a finger brake just can't. I've never used a real Magnabrake (from Tasmania) or the Roper Whitney version. The Baileigh is pretty tough, will bend way more than 16g at narrower widths. You do run into some challenges with non-magnetic materials, though I have been pretty successful most of the time with them. If I could only have one, it would depend on what I did most: if I mostly did simple and repetitive bends I would keep the finger brake; for occasional work and maximum versatility I would keep the Baileigh.

Back