What's new
What's new

The official "tube bending" thread

Baileigh inc

Aluminum
Here at Baileigh, we deal with tube bending applications on a daily basis and would love to get a little more involved on the board and help out in our area of expertise.

I will start this tube bending thread. If you have any questions about rotary draw benders, bending tube or pipe, application issues, wrinkling, what wall thickness will bend or not, wall thickness vs. center line Radius or what material will bend. Pretty much anything related to tube bending......ask away.

I will also post odd applications that come across my desk from time to time.

CDRA or (counter die roller assemblies) work well with aluminum tube and pipe applications. They prevent galling and scratching while still providing outside support on the bend.

This channel track bending application required a 3 piece delrin mandrel insert to prevent the sides from caving in. It was a tough application but our team was able to engineer a rather inexpensive solution to a super expensive application.

I HATE bending... Anything from brake lines on up. That is an art form I haven't come even close to being good at. I find it to be the most fristrating thing I have tried to learn. The pics are great!

I HATE bending... Anything from brake lines on up. That is an art form I haven't come even close to being good at. I find it to be the most fristrating thing I have tried to learn. The pics are great!

Bending round tube, pipe and square tubing is pretty simple with the correct tooling. Extrusions, oval shaped material and angle iron are the ones that keep me up at night. They are way more challenging.

I buy 6061 aluminum .062 wall 2 1/4 od 180* "u" bends with a 3" center line radius. These bends are wrinkle free and have no crush. Do you have anything that can do this?

Yes, this is a mandrel bending application. we have a full line of mandrel benders that can bend super thin material to super tight radii with no deformation.

Back