What's new
What's new

Opinons needed on Baileigh Industrial Shears

John,

I would look at National or Tennsmith, both made in the USA.
I don't know the difference in price but I would stay away from any shear not made here.

I bought a used Pexto years ago and it is a very nice shear but I don't think the current ones are made here, but I could be wrong.

Kevin

Roper Whitney has owned the Pexto name for a good 20 or 30 years now. They dont make any Pexto shears like this, only Roper Whitneys. They do make a 10ga x 84" machine, and it has a little american flag sticker on it, for whatever that's worth.

If I had the money, I would buy Amada.

Roper Whitney has owned the Pexto name for a good 20 or 30 years now. They dont make any Pexto shears like this, only Roper Whitneys. They do make a 10ga x 84" machine, and it has a little american flag sticker on it, for whatever that's worth.

If I had the money, I would buy Amada.

I was suggesting the lower price point shears, I thought because he he was looking at Baleigh the price was one of the main concerns.
If price is not the concern there are lots of choices and Amada would be good also Accurshear, the list goes on and on.

John, I guess you need to say what kinda budget you're working with?

Kevin

I am trying to establish a budget. need reliability, accurate easy to set back gage, will be light work [20 or 22 gage], maybe 100 to 200 cuts per day would be allot. not looking for cheap, not looking for a project machine, thus new, or like new.

I may not have owned enough machines, to be sure of this, but it has been my experience that the Chinese stuff is the lowest quality- and then the Taiwan stuff is better, especially cheaper, generic, house brand Taiwan like this. Obviously, if Amada, or someone similar has some machines made in taiwan, their quality control will be better than the kind where they put any name you want on em as long as you buy a container full at a time.
Then, in terms of price and quality, would come the turks- some low end turkish stuff is neck and neck with generic Taiwan, some Taiwan is better, some Turkish stuff is better.
Durma is currently the largest sheet metal fabrication tool manufacturing company in the world- I would call it mid range, maybe low mid range, in quality, but miles ahead of generic stuff.
http://www.durmausa.com/index.php/site/info/ms_mechanical_shears

The problem with the low end american companies like tennsmith and national is it aint modern, it aint cheap, but its solid, old school designs. But usually smaller- both top out at about this size, their expertise is in manual 22 gage equipment, not powered ten gage. Mechanical, too, mostly.

All of these would be in the sub 20 grand range for a machine like this- with some of the better taiwan or turkish, nudging 20 and above.

Then, you have a big step up to genuine industrial stuff- Accushear was mentioned, as was Amada, there are several other american companies and lots of imports- but hydraulic, with power back gages, the prices jump dramatically, pretty darn quick. Cnc, add another ten grand or so, minimum.

200 cuts a day is production- and I wouldnt think a ten thousand dollar shear would last more than a few years at that level of work. No matter where its from.
the Tennsmith 10 gage x 72" is over sixteen grand.
thats cheap for a shear like this- and probably the low end of price range for a decent machine- fifteen to thirty, depending on bells and whistles and quality. Dont know if Amada is still making em this small, if they are, expect real quality, and a price to match- probably over thirty.
Tennsmith, Sheet, Metal, Equipment, JWK, Machinery, Sales, Co

I have worked on several of these kinds of shears, they work fine but they are kind of light, doing what you describe they will be fine. The trouble starts when someone tries to shear something heavy then they get bent or they crack, thats how I ended up working on them. Old US made shears are hard to find especialy ones that are not trashed, I am going to build one from scratch in the next few months it will cut up to 1/8th by 8ft.

thanks for the input. the length and gage is the issue, if you dont want want to go way heavy. this would be a dedicated shear for particular product line. Like I said there is a 1/4 x 8 Wysong for general work and most everything is plasma cut anyways.

Back