What's new
What's new

Sad Day on PM

adama

Diamond
Sad Day for PM (No ones dead)

All the companies on the planet and these guys are the first to sponsor a forum subsection here :ack2:

Last edited:
7,224 posts and you haven't figured out not to write a meaningless topic title ?

What is so sad about it....we have never offered the possibility of sponsoring a forum on PM until now. I never cease to be amazed at how some of you guys instantly take a positive thing and manage to warp it around into a negative sounding thing.

Adama , I am sure you would prefer a Lodge and Shipley or Kearney and Trecker sponsored subforum but they are dead! A lot of what Baileigh sells is made overseas but from everyone I know who has equipment they sell what they offer is of good usable quality. The fab shop across the street has several pieces of equipment and they like the support and parts availability. It turns out that the old cold saw they have had for 15yrs now only makes and sells to Baileigh and they were able to get a new vise from them for it.

Really Adama there are a fair number of people who will benefit from this and if you feel you are not one of them, then please feel free to not look at it. Or at the very least give it a few weeks and see how it goes before you give your two cents worth.

Charles

7,224 posts and you haven't figured out not to write a meaningless topic title ?

What is so sad about it....we have never offered the possibility of sponsoring a forum on PM until now. I never cease to be amazed at how some of you guys instantly take a positive thing and manage to warp it around into a negative sounding thing.

I wonder if some of the guys noticed they don't pay dues to be a PM member. Since Don has to pay for web hosting the money has to come from somewhere.

People bitched at Shiraz Balolia a few years back when Grizzly/the new Southbend was sponsoring PM until he finally took his ball and went home. I hope some people get banned before that happens again to another sponsor.

And on a side note what about having paid memberships? Could be something as simple as turning off banner ads for members, or having paid-members-only PM related merchandise like hats and such. I know a lot of tech forums are successful raising money that way. I'd love me a PM hat...

Baleigh, jet etc, its not top end gear or even middle of the road and in the past certain threads have been closed for discussing this kinda stuff. I stand by my first post in here, im disappointed.

Have no qualms about sponsored forums, but if this place is going to end up akin to the other unmentionable forums out there, were this stuff normally sponsors its a sad day for PM.

Surely were above the kinda crap people buy to make a roll cage for there stock car?? We sure as hell are when it comes to mills and lathes, why set the fabrication bar so much lower than the machining side??

Baleigh, jet etc, its not top end gear or even middle of the road and in the past certain threads have been closed for discussing this kinda stuff. I stand by my first post in here, im disappointed.

Have no qualms about sponsored forums, but if this place is going to end up akin to the other unmentionable forums out there, were this stuff normally sponsors its a sad day for PM.

Surely were above the kinda crap people buy to make a roll cage for there stock car?? We sure as hell are when it comes to mills and lathes, why set the fabrication bar so much lower than the machining side??

:wrong:

They pay for a subforum, let them have the subforum. When the Van Norman gate opens up, let me know.

From what I have seen, Baileigh offers many machines waaay beyond the likes of Jet and the Green Bear...very nice looking automatic band and cold saws just to name a couple. You aren't paying attention and superficially lumping one importer with all the rest.

http://metal.baileighindustrial.com/automatic-cold-saw-cs-70nc

LOL ok i take it back then, but that stuff sure was not in the flier that came here a few months back.

If there getting serious great, then yeah i called it wrong big time.

Baliegh has a great internet presence and rapport with customers through the web and social media. I don't have an opinion on how relevant they are to the PM community or the quality of their equipment, but Baliegh is a standard-bearer for modern industrial marketing and corporate communications. There is a lot to be learned from them.

I see lots of bitching about machines and import machines. How come no one is building any of these things here in the US. Why arent any of us making a lathe or a mill. The companies that make this stuff were started by people not gods.

I see lots of bitching about machines and import machines. How come no one is building any of these things here in the US. Why arent any of us making a lathe or a mill. The companies that make this stuff were started by people not gods.

Because Americans want to be paid 30$ per hour but want to pay for tools made by people who only earn 3$ per hour. Japanese buy Japanese machinery even though they could buy cheaper machines. Swiss buy Swiss machines even though they could buy cheaper machines. Italians...well you get the idea. If Americans would buy American made machines instead of cheaper machines then you wouldnt be asking that question.

How many times have you heard of the folks on this forum complain about the price of Starrett or other US made tools. People forget just how expensive things can be, when people find old invoices for K&T or Monarch machines they cant believe the prices that were paid for those machines when they were new. Then they go to Grizzly and buy cheap chr.. and then complain why cant I talk about making this machine better here!

People used to save up to buy things, now we are so addicted to instant satisfaction that people will buy cheap cr.. just to have it now. People dont appreciate the difference between price and value. Politicians dont understand the difference between building wealth and purchasing it. And if you have ever seen an episode of Jay Lenos street walking you would understand that so many Americans are just plain stupid!

And to keep this rant on topic, I believe that while Baleigh has greatly increased its product line with imported goods. Several of their core products are still American made and/or at least were designed and first built here.

Designed and first built in a location would do the uk wonders, has sweet fa to do with keeping the results of your hard work in your actual country though!!

It used to piss me off to walk past all of those bumper stickers at the Chrysler plant in Detroit..."Out of a job yet? Keep buying foreign". Then I walk in to service my American Made Machine and I walk past new Doosan, Toyoda, Fuji, Mori, Okuma, Chiron, Mazak, Makino...blah blah, blah. Talk about a f'ing double standard, it started at the top. Guess what, it got worse, "look how much we can save by having it made in Mexico and China".

You should be ashamed to have one of those bumper stickers on your so-called American made car. bean counters....:nutter:

Back to adama's first post... It makes a lot of sense for Baileigh to sponsor a sub-forum here. They get a stable well managed forum that can help support users of their products and supply feedback to them without having to manage a forum directly themselves. That way they probably get a much better forum than they could with the DIY route.

Buy the best product you can, that includes fora.:D

but the question remains, how much for a subforum? :D jk.

Haha, joking! Sort of. I would think a product or service would get much more exposure by having a subforum here, than one on its own website. Like that guy with the HSM software. Or if you specialized in Fanuc 5t retrofits or something like that. Overall its a good option for everybody.

What you really need is an PM auction platform. Hint, hint! Online auctioneers charge 15%+. You could skim a little for the service, handle payment transfers, even line up hot shot trucks and rigger services. That might be some nice coin, even without outrageous ebay_like fees.

Ok back on topic.

Back