What's new
What's new

1956 Bridgeport Power Feed rebuild guidance?

KT88

Plastic
Please pardon my error if I've overlooked an existing thread, but I'm looking for any guidance on reparing/rebuilding the x-axis power feed on my 1956 Series 1.

This machine is new to me, and needs some TLC; I'd like to keep the original power feed but am having difficulty finding any guidance on how best to approach a rebuild. I've found the parts list and cut-away drawing, but am having more difficulty in finding detailed information on how to approach taking it apart, inspecting it, and rebuilding it. Any thoughts would be appreciated greatly.
FeedBox.jpgFeedBoxMotorPlate.jpgFeedBoxControlBox.jpg
I've attached some photo's as well.

Thanks

Just curious why you think it needs rebuilt? If it works as it should I would remove the cover on the side and do an inspection. If nothing is damaged then I'd change the oil and put the cover back on and run it. I will admit that i have not disassembled one of these but am getting ready to do mine because it is missing parts and has to come apart to replace them.

Eli

Hi Eli, sorry if I wasn't clear; the power feed is not working at all. I do have 3 phase power to it, but there is no response at all, and I'm at a bit of a loss as to where to start trouble shooting (anticipating a rebuild, but if I could find out more about how to test, it may be something a bit less invasive).

Thanks for the response; any help is much appreciated.

I've worked with a couple of these (have one on our 1958 J-head mill) but never needed to fully dismantle one. If you're getting power but no movement, I'd start with the motor. Does it hum like it wants to move? If not, it might be cooked or have a bad connection. These work different than the newer servo kits as the motor is always turning and the feed is engaged by mechanical clutch.

Once you have a turning motor, I'd go to the clutch level as these seem to wear and get banged around. Pull the plate off the top (couple allen screws) and check that there isn't something broken or worn to the point it won't engage.

Thanks M.B, that is very helpful - I wasn't aware that the motor is supposed to be turning all of the time; the motor is not turning at all when the machine is powered up. I'll investigate the switch mechanism (which seems to have seen better days - photo included in the original post) to see if there is something obvious: do you know if there is a schematic available?

Thanks for the help; I'll dig into the switch box and let everyone know what I discover.

Don

M.B., thanks again for your help; knowing that the motor should be running all the time, I flipped the switch a few times, and suddenly, the motor started! I was not very loud, and a bit difficult to hear, but it was on! I engaged the levers, and it very smoothly moved the table in both directions across the X-axis. It was in a low/slow gear, so it moved slowly, but very steady with no noise. I'll see if I can change the gears and enable a choice of speeds.

I've included some additional photos; it seems that the gearbox had some welding done during it's life, and that switch does look like it needs replacement.

It seems that I have a bad switch/bad connection at the switch, so I'll focus my attention on that.

Thanks again for the help!

Don
IMG_6632.jpg
IMG_6631.jpg

I also have a 1956 V ram/ J head. BR 28571 with J 17393. 1956 was the year Bridgeport transitioned to V ram. My power feed is same except the power switch is at the motor.
The heavy feed assembly was called "tractor feed" and everything has been said. My table is short, 32" . As much as I like gears and heavy machinery, hanging that off a table causes wear.

On the up side, a heavy dividing head, fixture could balance the load a bit. Look at your knee ways, saddle wars/ways. Sixty years survival.

Thanks Alum100k; it seems that we have sibling machines, as mine is BR28570 and the head number is J17392. Mine has the 42" table, and so far, things look as one would expect for a machine of this age. Do you have a photo of how your motor wiring is done? Mine looks completely aftermarket, and it would be nice to see an original.

Thanks

Don

Power feeds have improved in the last 30 years, but back when I had one of these it was the smoothest low speed drives I had ever seen

Just make sure the motor is turning the correct direction, destruction ensues.....

Will do, gustafson, and thanks for the recommendation; I'll be sure to check the rotation of that motor

I've included some additional photos; it seems that the gearbox had some welding done during it's life, and that switch does look like it needs replacement.

View attachment 247162
View attachment 247163

I did a job on one. I filled all the casting voids and painted it. The finish shows a good reflection. I totally dismantled it. The first thing you do is drop it
off from the table with those four allen bolts holding the top little tray. Then it is fairly easy to take it apart, one piece at a time.

I'm fairly astounded.All this time looking for a match to my Bridgeport, to verify the J head #s to the base platform. Yes,the table measurement was working surface. It is much longer with the feed and end tray. These mills were built on the M head platform which means it is smaller than a full sized Bridgeport milling machine. Knee width and tables etc are shorter. So many years, people said they were "hot rod-ed" by adapting a Vee ram turret/ J head to a round column mill. Gosh this is great news to me.

I bought mine from a gentleman, Gordon White. He alluded that he worked for Offenhauser back then and his Bridgeport had something to do with that. The book is OFFENHAUSER WHITE. You can see banks of Bridgeport Milling machines in some photos. It is wonderful possible connection. I have been reading this site for 20 years and didn't post.

I must thank everyone who has contributed to this thread. Very soon, I will take the cover off..well actually I did but flash exposure obliterated the finer points. One thing confused me. Your motor emblem notes 2 phase whereas mine is stamped 3. The amp draw is the same but there may be something different between our motors.

I must thank everyone who has contributed to this thread. Very soon, I will take the cover off..well actually I did but flash exposure obliterated the finer points. One thing confused me. Your motor emblem notes 2 phase whereas mine is stamped 3. The amp draw is the same but there may be something different between our motors.
I will get back to the wiring but still can't believe this reunion happened. It was a Bridgeport milling machine, advertised in the paper was local.
The man was so cool and I was 20 years younger. He mentioned and I could see wear. It was wear from use. We talked at length about things. He said some other guys came over and inspected the mill. It was too worn etc. I still wanted it big time and then he brought out the book. I was struck. He signed the hardcover to me as part of the deal. Gordon Eliot White and he survives in my memory. He wasn't letting go of that mill for peanuts. I remember he said "that is a special vise" . I took the head sections apart for transport.

I noticed that too; mine is listed as 2 phase, and I don't yet understand the significance of that difference. There is much to learn about these beauties, and I'm looking forward to the stories it will tell.

I noticed that too; mine is listed as 2 phase, and I don't yet understand the significance of that difference. There is much to learn about these beauties, and I'm looking forward to the stories it will tell.
Firstly, I must clear a few things. Mr. White did not say his mill had been used to build Offy's. It was only after we were closing the deal. Whatever industry folded,to where he acquired that mill, is a connection to yours,except that 2 phase motor. Enough of this. I will go out and find the exact motor #'s of mine.
Btw, There was a 2 phase supply. Some areas in Pa. used that, maybe more. It wasn't the same as single phase 220/240v.

Feed drive Master Motor #s; Style 248783 Serial# CP17987 Type PA Frame 5217, Volts 220, Amps .6 ,Phase 3, Hp 1/8 Code Rating M, Temp continuous 50* C
This is so old news but it is real time for us. If these codes do not align with yours, it is a different motor. We are winding down to where these very close machines were delivered.

[QUOTE/ Do you have a photo of how your motor wiring is done? Mine looks completely aftermarket, and it would be nice to see an original.
[/QUOTE]

If motor is running, might not want to mess with it. Your aftermarket look might be someone managed to get a 2 phase motor running on 3 phase. Fully photograph and mark wires/chart them if you do take it apart. We had several old 2 phase motor machines and had Transformers that converted 3 phase down to 2. IIRC 2 phase is 4 hots and ground? Been too long since I've seen it.

Your main motor was probably swapped out for a 3 phase.

RF

Back