What's new
What's new

1965 BP Series I Quill Downfeed Question!

seagiant

Cast Iron
Hi,
Looking to bore a hole and wanting to use the power downfeed for the last pass.

The Quill downfeed works as long as you hold the lever back to feed, but...

Will not "lock" and hold it's self till it is kicked out by the stop???

Wondering if anyone has any ideas on this?

The usual cause is the pin inside the sliding block the lever shifts to the right is gummed up with old oil. Does not drop down to engage. a 50-50 mix of ATF and acetone applied liberally will free it up. You can just see the top end of the pin when the block is shifted to the right when you engage the lever. When I worked part time at a new/used tool dealer better than half of the used BP style mills he took in had this issue.

Hi,
Thanks for the suggestion...

I went and wet everything down and worked it and everything is free from what I can tell and moves as it should.

Admittedly, I do not see the "pin" you described.

Here is a pic of what I suppose locks the block, I assume with some internal spring inside?

It has no spring like action but moves freely when pushed up from the bottom.

I will go back to the parts drawing and see if I can figure what part actually holds the block or lever back till it is hit by the stop.

Thanks again!

Attachments

• feed.jpg
    feed.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 52
Hi,
Ok, on the Quill Housing parts schematic there is a spring loaded plunger in the bottom of the block...

Parts # 120 and 121.

That may be the problem, but will need to remove the block and then the parts.

If the spring is broken or the plunger is stuck that would probably be the problem?

Hi,
Well tried to take the handwheel clutch collar #91 off but can not get the detent ball out!

Have to get that off to get to the bottom of the "block" to check the parts in there?

Well it works, but just does not lock so will have to live with it I guess not a lot of help here surprisingly?

I'm scared to try anymore do not want to damage anything and will just do more research when I can.

Part #100 is what usually gets gummed up. Pull the link on the bottom of the casting that the feed stop rod operates to push up #100 then you can pull #100 down and out to de-gum. Part #94 if you look carefully as you move it back and forth you will see a little hole on the top surface squirt brake clean or better my ATF -acetone mix there. My mix dissolves the gum and leaves a lube film. My usual was to start by hosing down with brake clean and once it started to free up then the ATF mix. My personal BP the feed does not get used a lot so before using I lube that area with ATF. Don't know how it was done but saw more than one of these links BENT!

And that ball can be a real SOB !! Same issue usually oil gum. Like I say I usually lube all of the trip parts with ATF from the top of the feed stop rod on.

Part #100 is what usually gets gummed up. Pull the link on the bottom of the casting that the feed stop rod operates to push up #100 then you can pull #100 down and out to de-gum. Part #94 if you look carefully as you move it back and forth you will see a little hole on the top surface squirt brake clean or better my ATF -acetone mix there. My mix dissolves the gum and leaves a lube film. My usual was to start by hosing down with brake clean and once it started to free up then the ATF mix. My personal BP the feed does not get used a lot so before using I lube that area with ATF. Don't know how it was done but saw more than one of these links BENT!

And that ball can be a real SOB !! Same issue usually oil gum. Like I say I usually lube all of the trip parts with ATF from the top of the feed stop rod on.

Hi,
Thank you very much, I pulled the lever at the bottom and #100 rod, cleaned everything up and still no go.

That leaves the plunger and spring at the bottom of the block that's suppose to play nice with part 100.

The "Block" is part 94 and to get to the bottom the collar has to come off and to get that off the ball detent for the rod has to come out and I can not get it out and the rod is a geared rod so not cheap.

If it was just a cheap rod I would cut it and buy another but that won't work.

Might try a fresh bottle of super glue and a punch to see if it will pull that way.

Have used everything else including air and no go.

Thanks again, learned a few things anyway!!!

At the bottom of the depth rod (threaded with depth adjuster) is a small link shaped like a bent elbow. The link has a pivot pin, and a very small set screw. that set screw is the adjustment for the kick off rod (rod behind the inch scale. There is no lock nut for this #4 set screw, so it backs off by itself. Almost impossible to see, but findable with a fingertip. The pivot pin screws into the head casting just left of the center of the casting,

At the bottom of the depth rod (threaded with depth adjuster) is a small link shaped like a bent elbow. The link has a pivot pin, and a very small set screw. that set screw is the adjustment for the kick off rod (rod behind the inch scale. There is no lock nut for this #4 set screw, so it backs off by itself. Almost impossible to see, but findable with a fingertip. The pivot pin screws into the head casting just left of the center of the casting,

Hi,
Thanks, I just took all that apart and cleaned it as stated above.

It was grungy but cleaning did not make any difference.

Played with the set screw up and down and makes no difference.

The feed works up and down but will not catch and hold till kicked out by the stop.

If I hold the lever no problem but it will not hold it's self!

Thanks again!

Here are some pictures. If you pull the rule off you can see the top of the pin in the block when feed is disengaged. see pic 1 scribe is pointing at it.
Also most BP you can't engage the until the quill moves down a 1/8" or so,you can engage but won't stay until the quill moves a bit.
Pics 2 &3 show the pin/button that the quill stop hits on the upward travel to trip the dog bone to force the depth rod down to push the bottom link against rod #100 to trip the feed out. Try moving the quill down a 1/8 or so and see if the feed now works.

Attachments

• BP 001.jpg
    BP 001.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 26
  • BP 002.jpg
    BP 002.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 24
  • BP 003.jpg
    BP 003.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 21
Hi,
Thanks, I've done that already...

I have been all over the Internet looking for clues on this.

Part # 97 is the trip plunger and is spring loaded, it is in the bottom of the "block" yhat bears against the # 100 part.

I tried to take this out and see if the spring is broken but can not get the ball detent to come out and was getting aggravated, so stopped.

I'm trying not to damage anything, but that is the only thing left I have not been able to get to.

Will try later, thank you very much!!!

Try getting some cleaner/lube on top of the pin in pic 1 ,that was the area that I found was the most likely to be stuck from oxidized old oil. Mills that had been in regular use until we got them were less likely to have issues. But, if any issues were found due to gummy oil 90% were in the power down feed area. Next most common in the DF area were broken dog bones, followed by issues in the overload clutch caused by holding in the PF lever drilling too big a hole.

Hi John,
Thanks for all the help, I went in and removed the Overload Clutch Trip Lever #80...

This allowed me to get to the hole at the top of the "Block",...

It also allowed me to see and test the spring loaded plunger at the bottom, that I assume is suppose to play with the rod part # 100.

Doused the hole with a ATF-Mineral spirits solution I have.

Pulled the cover of course when I took off the Trip lever and one of the pivot pins in there was in the bottom of the cover.

Cleaned all of that replaced and tested and it still does not work so now I am out of ideas because it seems the plunger in the bottom of the block works and I had assumed that was the problem, but now does not seem to be???

Everything is free and the drive works up and down you just have to hold the handle!

It refuses to hold or lock it's self until kicked out.

Once again, thank you very much!

Hi,

Here is another thing, I saw no "Pin" at the top of the block, just a hole?

Could that be it, is something broken in the block?

Just something I noticed and I even took a piece of tie wire and ran in down the hole and found nothing?

Just thinking out aloud trying to figure where the disconnect is???

Hi,
Ok, went back to the Schematic and I see only a plunger and spring inside the "Block".

I assume that is what you are freeing up when you pour in the lubricant and get most feeds back to working!

Hi,
Just a shout out to John Evans for all the help!

No, I have not fixed it, but know where the problem has to be, but I have a detent ball that will not come out of the shaft, so have to get that out first, however...

I now know more about the BP Quill Power Ffeed, than I really wanted to know!!!

Back