What's new
What's new

2J Head Lubrication

CJD

Aluminum
I'm trying to understand how to lubricate my 1980's vintage 2J head with the CNC quill and an auto-oiler. The placard on the front of the head says "Do Not Oil Permanently Greased". The side placard also says the reverse gear is permanently lubricated.

There is a placard on the side of the head that says to add 1/2 TBSP of grease to hole "A"...which I found on the left side of the head (looking at it from front). So I got that. Then, the placard says to add heavy/medium oil to the front and side cups with the quill extended 2 inches.

I don't see any front or side cups. When I searched for them, I read that they feed the quill. My auto-oiler has a fitting on the back of the head, and the quill is getting plenty of oil...always a film surrounding the entire chromed bearing surface.

So...does the auto oiler take care of the need to oil cups? Or am I missing where the cups are?

Which head is it that you have? Is it from a Trak or a Boss style CNC?

All the Traks I have seen have oil cups in them, but the upside down motor heads (both the Series I and II) have all the oil points ran from the auto lube.

Jon

Thanks, Jon. I think it was originally a Boss machine. The motor hangs downward from the vari-drive system and the head is labelled 2J. I suspect you are right, and the head is fully lubricated from the pressure feed, but when I start it cold every morning it has a rather loud whine that settles down once it warms up...thus I started wondering if I was missing a lube point.

Well, I expected this to be an easy question since it's so basic. I'll have to go with Jon's assumption that the auto lube does the work. Just very interesting that BP went to the trouble of placing a placard on the side of the head telling you to lube it if it didn't need it. I'll let everyone know if it turns out otherwise and I have to rebuild it soon!

Thanks again for taking the time to respond, Jon.

Back