What's new
What's new

2J Head Problems, Help Please.

redlee

Titanium
IMG_7071.jpgIMG_7070.jpgIMG_7069.jpgIMG_7068.jpg

Ive had this apart twice, cant really see anything wrong. Other than someone has been here before.
Belt is not tracking properly and is rubbing. All the parts seem to be there and bearings and sleeves all seem good.
One question the spacer ring does it go under the cover or above ? Drawings I have dont show the cover.
Anyone have any idea of whats going on ?
Thanks

There should be four drilled and tapped holes that secure a thin ring to the splined pulley. The ring stops the cog belt from walking. There should be two, one top and one bottom part #8.
Backgear Parts.jpg
John

There should be four drilled and tapped holes that secure a thin ring to the splined pulley. The ring stops the cog bet from walking. There should be two, one top and one bottom part #8.
View attachment 269138
John

Not on mine , splined pulley has just 2 tapped holes for pulling it off.
Might have to make it as such.
Can you tell me where the Timing Pulley Clutch Sleeve goes?
Part number 12180064

Okay, I'll look that up in one of the manuals.
In the meantime:
Lower Housing Parts.jpgAssembly Dwg High.jpgAssembly Dwg Low Gear.jpg

p/n 12180064.....2180064....aka 2J513 Timing Pulley Clutch Sleeve

Here is a part # list and the matching diagram containing p/n 2J513:
2J2 Back Gear Head Parts.jpg2J2 Back Gear Head Parts diagram.jpg
Look at #38.
Part numbers change according to serial number, where the mill was manufactured (ex. England) and when.
2J513 and the description stays with the part.

Okay, I'll look that up in one of the manuals.
In the meantime:
View attachment 269146View attachment 269147View attachment 269148

p/n 12180064.....2180064....aka 2J513 Timing Pulley Clutch Sleeve

Here is a part # list and the matching diagram containing p/n 2J513:
View attachment 269150View attachment 269151
Look at #38.
Part numbers change according to serial number, where the mill was manufactured (ex. England) and when.
2J513 and the description stays with the part.

Yes I have the same paper work, but it doesnt show the thin sheet metal cover, part 38 is the one Im not sure if it goes under or above the cover.
And your help is truly appreciated. Thanks

The retaining screws for the flange have to be counter sunk and at least flush with the surface of the flange.
The width of the flange 'seemed' like .045 - .060" thick. Never measured one so it is a memory guess.
Okay, I rebuilt these things for years and can't remember exactly where that sleeve goes.
If I had the parts in front of me I'd check bore diameters and compare to the hub outer diameter and the
hub shaft diameter (splined gear hub #39).
Pull the cover and check face alignment of the bull gear to the pinion. Do they match or does the bull gear face ride too high?
The only assembly pic I have:
IMG_8725.jpg

The retaining screws for the flange have to be counter sunk and at least flush with the surface of the flange.
The width of the flange 'seemed' like .045 - .060" thick. Never measured one so it is a memory guess.
Okay, I rebuilt these things for years and can't remember exactly where that sleeve goes.
If I had the parts in front of me I'd check bore diameters and compare to the hub outer diameter and the
hub shaft diameter (splined gear hub #39).
Pull the cover and check face alignment of the bull gear to the pinion. Do they match or does the bull gear face ride too high?
The only assembly pic I have:
View attachment 269159

The ring fits perfect on 37 and 39 Thats my problem, works both ways.
And yes the belt rings has to be thin and the screws have to be flush.
Thanks again

Back