What's new
What's new

5C Step chucks and closers Worth anything ? Or make backplates out of the closers

I need 2 backplates for the 2 Hardinge HLV-H I have right now
They are hard to find over here
But one of the lathes came with some step chucks and closers
I could use the closers to make backplates
But I could also sell those stepchucks with their closers
What would they be worth ??? Anybody has a idea ?
Most of these chucks are never used

attachment.php

Peter

I currently pay £38.89 for 4" 5C step collets, which I then machine down to fit my 3.75" OD closer. So you should be able to get more than that for the ones on the left of the picture.

IMHO Closers are a little flimsy as backplates and need reinforcing (BTDT)

Concur.

And the step collets? Useless to most.

Pure gold to those who need them.

Some tasking there ain't much as is even close to matching what can be done with 'em.

That's why they came to exist. That's why they are still in the new product line.

That's why I keep a small stash of them!

:D

I see backplates from Bison for sale in the US But these do not show up in the Bison Bial cataloge
I have a Bison dealer here who is asking about them right now
We see what comes up and decide then

Peter

I see backplates from Bison for sale in the US But these do not show up in the Bison Bial cataloge

Peter

I'd suspect that might mean they are wot? "Toolmex" out of Asia is it that Bison-of-the-present-day are sharing a blanket with?

You looking for Hardinge taper? Or - what my step-closer had worked with - Hardinge threaded?

Peter

Hardinge 4 degree taper and threaded chuck adapters used to be available from several chuck makers. At present, I only see, in the MSC catalog, Pratt Burnerd America and Buck selling them. These are both essentially the same adapter because the 6 inch Buck Ajust-Tru and PB Setrite chucks both fit the same adapter. PBA has the lower price and their part number is 605044. I have two of these that are unused and for sale. And I have some new 3-jaw and 6-jaw chucks to fit.

Hardinge makes a cast iron "fixture plate" with the taper mount. It has a disc that is 8.88 inch diameter but is too thin to mount a PBA Setrite chuck. They want $1230 for them, so not very affordable.

A few years ago, a PM member in the UK mentioned that Pratt Burnerd in England had to order this adapter for him from their USA operation. Apparently, the adapters are made in USA for Pratt Burnerd. The PB adapters are steel. I do not have a new Buck adapter, but the old ones I have owned were cast iron.

I talked to a USA distributor of Chinese chucks a few years ago and asked about Hardinge adapters. He said his Chinese supplier did not make Hardinge adapters, and had stopped making copies of the Buck Ajust-Tru chucks. He offered to sell me a Chinese copy of a Bison chuck. The Bison chucks do not fit Buck or PBA adapters.

I was just reminded that this topic was covered last year. hardinge taper back plate

I looked at Ajax, a USA Bison dealer, and see they sell a 6 inch Bison Set Tru adapter with Hardinge threads, but do not list the taper version.
Bison 3 Jaw 6" Set Tru Forged Lathe chuck + Back Plate

Larry

Back