What's new
What's new

6F-A power feed questions

CoryButzon

Plastic
I have a 1948 Bridgeport with what I believe is called a 6F-A power feed (learned that from another thread). It works fine and is in good condition internally, but it leaks oil like crazy.

- Is the gearbox supposed to be full of oil? I don't see how else the top gears could stay lubricated.

- If so, how should I stop the leaking? There is a place to add oil that is near the bottom of the gear box; should I plug it up somehow? Caulk the rest?

This is my first mill and I've still got a lot to learn. I appreciate any help.

Thanks,
Cory

Attachments

• unnamed3.jpg
    unnamed3.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 137
  • unnamed2.jpg
    unnamed2.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 114
  • unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 101
Thats a gear driven power feed. They were obsolete before I started working on them so my knowledge on them is basically zero. All I can help with is the few parts that we have, but not sure about your oil leak.

Jon

Thanks for your response. I messaged you a minute ago about this before I realized that you had already responded here; sorry about that. You seem to be the guy here who knows the most about these things . . . so I guess I'm on my own with this. :D

Cory

Not at all an issue. Most of my experience in the gear driven feeds is taking them apart to get to a part that a customer needs. Sorry I couldnt be of any help.

Jon

I don't know anything about a Bridgeport Power Feed, but I do have a vintage1940 Parks 4 X 12" wood plane. It's got a transmission on the side that drives the feed rollers. It's got some gears and a small chain drive inside. I use heavy fiber grease on it and it's still running after many years.

I wonder if you could use grease on the gears? That would solve your oil leak.

Go to your nearest Tractor supply or the like and get a tube of "picker head grease",this is a flow able grease .It will stay in where oil won't ,about the consistency of honey at 75* of so.

To be technical,
grease that will flow has a thickness of
#0 or #00. Most grease is #2 and as you
know, is way too thick.
You might consider petroleum jelly (Vasoline)
as a lube for your gears. It is not grease
but rather 100% petroleum, and lubricates
very well in room temperature environments.

-Doozer

I had one of these on my uk Adcock and shipley 1hp, There are 2 oil cups on the top of the cover which you are meant to oil weekly. Under the high/low knob on the side there is another oil cup which you fill to level,it's not much oil but everytime I looked inside everything was getting well lubed.Where is your feed leaking from?20190913_213035.jpg

Back