What's new
What's new

Acer 3VS, Good? Bad?

honda1988

Plastic
Hi,

I have found an Acer 3VS for sale in my area and after looking for a nice Bridgeport for quite some time, this looks to be a viable solid option.

The model is a 3VS and from the pictures it looks to be the Ultima model. My first question is, how do these differ from the Acer E-mills? This model has the 60-4500 rpm AC inverter freq drive.

Also just looking for some general feedback on these, from what I've read they have been preferred over Bridgeport's and are a solid machine. What should I look for when looking at the machine? Just the standard, heavy wear on the ways, backlash, spindle deflection, etc? I am not looking to run this 40+ hours a week it would just be for general machining and fabrication at home.

Any input is appreciated.

Thanks,

I have that exact one, vintage 1995. I bought it from a garage-shop guy in '96.
Still have and use it. No problems. I like it, seems very well made.

Thanks, Do you know the difference between the E-mill and the Ultima? Are many parts interchangeable? Is it a totally different chassis?

It sounds like your Ultima 3VS is at least a 2000 model. This machine is the same as an E-mill but prior to coining the name “E-mill”. I have a 1992 3VS Ultima variable speed with a Reeves belt drive and a 2000 3VKH Ultima which has the Toshiba VFD and 3hp Baldor motor. It is the same as a 2018 3VKH E-mill including the Newall DRO. I added a Miutoyo Z-axis quill mounted DRO and a stepdown transformer for all 120v equipment. Both of these mills are solid machines and in my opinion are a step up from a Bridgeport. Regarding interchangeable parts: the variable speed Reeves belt design pre 2000 head is interchangable with all older 3VS Ultima’s. The post 2000 3VS Toshiba VFD head is interchangeable with all newer 3VS models (E-mill) as the 2000 3VKH head is interchangeBle with all post 2000 heads. The castings, tables, turret etc. are interchangeable thru mill size on all year models.

Back