What's new
What's new

Adcock & Shipley 1ES universal milling machine

HomerOz

Plastic
G'Day Fella's,

I would appreciate your knowledge on the following, English made Universal milling machine.
Adcock & Shipley 1ES universal mill, was apparently rebadged as a Bridgeport brand mill (hence my placment here, of this post/enquiry).

I have the oportunity to buy an as new A-D 1ES mill and was wondering, does anybody have any knowledge and or experience with them?

Here's a link to an image of a similar machine; USED Adcock & Shipley 1ES Milling Machine - Universal with Vertical Head | TPH Machine Tools

Looking forward to any replies.

Regards
Homer

Hi,

That appears to be a 1ES J-Model, automatic longitudinal feed with the scarce vertical head.

I have a 1ES-G I think it is called, all manual feeds plus power longitudinal feed. They are very well built machines with a little information surviving on the internet, VintageMachinery.org | Welcome has a bit.

Check to make sure it has its horizontal arbor support if you plan to do horizontal milling.

I am looking for vertical head for mine.

Bob

I own one as well, but I don't have a vertical attachment. It is a very nice horizontal mill and it doesn't take up much space. I bought mine from the British Army. This is NOT a replacement for a BP though. Please note there is no down feed for the vertical quill. Parts for these are non-existent. You can get a reproduced manual. I think it is overpriced at 2150 pounds. I think 1500 is more realistic.

G'Day Fella's,

Thank You R Williams and Steve-I, for that infomation and links.
It came with the Horizontal arbor support (you can see it inside the cardbord box in the above images), along with one horizontal arbor, and all the spacers and nut.

I did buy this machine, and it was delivered a week ago now.
I'm just in ther process, of giving it a complete Kerosene clean to remove the grease and other built up gunk.
At the same time, I'm learning a bit about the machine as well.
It is nice and compact in it's foot print/size, which is what I need, as I ran out of room in my "Funshop" years ago.

Regards
Homer

I'm curious has to what the max RPM is on these. I like the size but most older machines were not built with carbide cutters in mind.

Thanks for that tip Steve-I.

Moldcore, it has a top RPM of 2500 rpm.

Here are some additional images of it, up on blocks in the Funshop.
Please note the Drip Tray (not in place as yet), Horizontal Arbor Support and Arbor;
DSCN3246.jpg
DSCN3247.jpg
DSCN3248.jpg

Regards
Homer

G'Day Fella's,

Thank You R Williams and Steve-I, for that infomation and links.
It came with the Horizontal arbor support (you can see it inside the cardbord box in the above images), along with one horizontal arbor, and all the spacers and nut.

I did buy this machine, and it was delivered a week ago now.
I'm just in ther process, of giving it a complete Kerosene clean to remove the grease and other built up gunk.
At the same time, I'm learning a bit about the machine as well.
It is nice and compact in it's foot print/size, which is what I need, as I ran out of room in my "Funshop" years ago.

Regards
Homer
Hi Homer I have just bought one of these mills. I live in Cape Town, South Africa. I think it is the perfect machine for a fun shop. I envy your purchase with the milling head and condition looks amazing. My machine is missing the parts that control the automatic feed. The plates that are bolted onto the main body that control the gearbox lever position. I was wondering if you could make some hand drawings with dimensions and send to me so that I could make them. I attach a photo of my machine so you can see what I am missing. My email is [email protected]

Back