What's new
What's new

Advice on Bridgeport Interact Machines

RFD

Aluminum
I have 2 Bridgeport Interact machines at my shop that are currently sitting idle and I'm not sure what to do with them. One is an Interact 1 Series 1 and the other is an Interact 2 Series 2. Both have Heidenhain 151 controls and lots of tooling. Mechanically they're in pretty good shape, but the control leaves much to be desired in terms of accuracy, repeatability, etc. and no matter what we do there is constant stepping and pausing, and general funkyness. Admittedly these machines have been very good to me the last couple years and have allowed me to buy better machines. I've drip-fed millions of lines of code to them and they've made some really good parts. I'm trying to decide if it is worth converting them to MACH or EMC controls or something similar, and VFD conversions for the heads. I have a few jobs that I could lay out on the tables and just let run for a couple hours so the lack of toolchanger isn't an issue. Another option is to scrap them, and a third is to sell them to someone else who'd do a conversion. The ROI of conversion for me is kind of a toss-up question filled with many what-ifs. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Richard

Sounds like the problem is in the lead screws rather than the control. These are rock solid machines, and the conversational controls on the 151 work well.

With that out of the way, I moved to a 32x16 Daewoo. The problem with the Interacts is that they are manual machines and the cost of dedicating a person to stand there and change tools is way too expensive, unless you can run something like a mold, which is not changing tools constantly.

I never looked back once I got the coolant enclosure and ferris wheel changer.

Lee (the saw guy)

Mechanically they are good. All ballscrews have been rebuilt recently, thrust bearings replaced, etc. The motors have all been refurbished and are in good order, as are the encoders. I have some aluminum parts that I can make out of plate that would be the size of the working envelope dimensionally in X and Y, so tool changing is not a problem, as the machine can and has been left unattended for hours on end. Tuning the Heidenhain controls is super finicky, and we've had 3 different techs in to work on them and not one has been able to successfully remove any of the stepping or accuracy issues we have on both machines, so I'm pretty much set on conversions if I keep them.

I've worked with a dripfed 151b that had similar stepping issues, casually attributed to slow processor speeds. No problems with accuracy, so we didn't investigate, though you may be working to closer tolerances than we were. Software was VisualMill (IIRC) and TNCRemo. I'm curious as to what software you're using.

And if you do decide to sell, I have some interest in the Interact 1.

Neil

We've used VisualMill, CamBam and Mastercam, as well as TNCRemo and EasyDNC. The odd thing is that it occurs when runningprograms written in native Heidenhain Conversational as opposed to drip fed or loaded from CAM. Shoot me a PM if you'd like to talk about the Interact 1.

I've worked with a dripfed 151b that had similar stepping issues, casually attributed to slow processor speeds. No problems with accuracy, so we didn't investigate, though you may be working to closer tolerances than we were. Software was VisualMill (IIRC) and TNCRemo. I'm curious as to what software you're using.

And if you do decide to sell, I have some interest in the Interact 1.

Neil

Hi i just finnished a Bridgeport 412 i conversion to linuxcnc i even managed to usw existing servos goal was less than 5k (without my learning curve ) i documented all dwcisions and so on i am at 0.03 mm in z 0.05 mm in x and y

Interact series ll startup sequence

Richard: I have a Interact with a 151B control and Its been 3 years since I have started it up. I can't remember the startup sequence to get to fire up. Do you happen to know that sequence of key strokes?
The yellow light/button is not lighting so the screen doesn't open. An help would be appreciated.
Jim

started retro of my V2XT long time ago. Got all the new servos mounted am in the process of starting to repaint the splash guards and coolant trough/tank ( bare slightly rusty metal right now). Will let you know how it works. I am pounding my head in the wall with how much $ I put into it. I plan on using fixture plates so I can machine multiple parts with one tool change. Now that we are on subject of Real deal BP Connecticut BP CNC's I have 2 questions. Anyone know how I find the seals for the limit switch boxes ( got machine for cheap after coolant gunk clogged the homing switch)and what size EPDM should I get for the way covers. The metal I have for mounting that is still good.

I have a 150 and have run the 151 and 2500 controls. Startup is identical to what Car2 posted, though the order of axis moves to pass reference points is different.

Back