Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    North Carolina
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Alliant RT2 - Simplifying a Bridgeport Variable head

This might be a very dumb question, but i am new to milling and learning as i go. I got a Alliant RT2 milling machine, it has a variable head very similar to Bridgeport, My question is can we simplify the variable head and remove the variable speed functionality, and just make it direct speed and control the speed with VFD?

I am not talking about ignoring the variable speed function and using VFD, but can we remove the internal components to make it more simpler? Has any one done this before? Please advice.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Aiden View Post
    This might be a very dumb question, but i am new to milling and learning as i go. I got a Alliant RT2 milling machine, it has a variable head very similar to Bridgeport, My question is can we simplify the variable head and remove the variable speed functionality, and just make it direct speed and control the speed with VFD?

I am not talking about ignoring the variable speed function and using VFD, but can we remove the internal components to make it more simpler? Has any one done this before? Please advice.
    It would be difficult to make major changes to a BP or clone variable speed head. Why not just add a VFD and set the variable belts to a speed that is what you want. That way you would still be able to change the speed to something else at a later time. I don't see the benefit of modifying the head.

People who have the BP with the step-pulley arrangement often use a VFD with the belt on one pulley and leave it that way.
    Last edited by Newman109; 03-18-2019 at 09:50 AM.