What's new
What's new

What Is A Hardinge HP5?

allloutmx

Titanium
I bought a lathe recently and to be quite honest, I dont know much about it. I understand it has a thread chaser attachement but I dont have a clue how it works yet. I didnt get too far with it besides get it home but could anyone shine some light as to how I may date the machine and go about finding a manual for the machine?

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• IMG_9163.jpg
    IMG_9163.jpg
    8 KB · Views: 158
  • IMG_9162.jpg
    IMG_9162.jpg
    5.8 KB · Views: 190
  • IMG_9161.jpg
    IMG_9161.jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 226
Post even more photos, please; that's an unusual beast. It has a family resemblance to the common Hardinge HC chucker, including the flat-plate turret and thread chaser, but the carriage/apron is very different from an HC. Details of the carriage and the headstock would be quite interesting.

Maybe Larry Vanice has some literature on the HP5? I'd never heard that model name before.

That is a circa 1940-1950 chucking machine with thread chasing. I have a picture of one in a 1946 catalog, but it does not show the tail support for the extra long threading bar. The 1946 catalog does not provide model designations, so I know nothing of the HP5 name.

The next chucker model has the electric motor carriage feed, among other changes.

Find the serial number and I can provide the build year. It may be on the back of the headstock or on the back of the bed at the right hand end.

Sorry about the low lighting...garage side of the shop has spotty lighting. So did Hardinge ever come in green? This one definitely has a layer of green which looks like someone tried to cover up with some oil base paint and a brush. Also, Ive found a few pics on google with the thread chaser and it appears as though im missing a lever on what im guessing is some sort of feed control? Belts from main pulley go up and behind the machine to a gearbox and another set of pulleys which is just left of the head stock if you were standing at the machine.

IMG_9165.jpg

IMG_9170.jpg

IMG_9171.jpg

IMG_9172.jpg

Back