What's new
What's new

Any other source for hardinge lathe id name plates besides hardinge ?

JRivera

Aluminum
sorry to ask a question thats been asked probably . i looked threw pages with the search bar and didnt come up with anything . i want to replace the ID plates on my machine ( HLV H ) i got the parts and contacted hardinge . looking at almost $1000 to replace them . Wanted to see if any one has a source for getting them besides paying hardinge . Thanks

Price from hardinge for the speed carriage is $150 .
the master on the on of machine is $ 150 .

they are crazy . hahaha

Thirty years ago, Hardinge sold the product graphics for their machines for very low prices. I have seen a few various unused Hardinge plates on eBay in recent years. I suspect the people that rebuild Hardinge machines have plates on hand, but they should want the cost to replace them, if they would sell them at all.

Some people have taught themselves to make their own plates for various makes of machine. If you can print a good copy on paper, a local trophy shop might be able to print it or maybe etch it on sheet aluminum. I have a drill press that needed a new plate. I photographed a damaged one, retouched the picture on the computer, fiddled with the size and printed it on silver-colored poster board. Then I laminated it in clear plastic. It looks quite good, and is not subject to rubbing in this application, so it will not get scratched up.

It is also possible to engrave a plate of black with white core plastic, either with templates and an old-style engraver or with a CAD file and CNC machine. Again, a trophy shop might be the place to ask.

Larry

DSC01744.jpg

Been checking on eBay with no luck . I’m not that computer savvy to do all that stuff . Just trying to find some where I can buy them . Buseides Hardinge . Thalerenhss to be some one out there who makes them . Just need them to see my post haha.

There isn’t much else unless you might be able to find some used plate that still have the screen printing. When I bought my lathe there was no screen printing on any thing. I used a sharpie for about 6 months, then purchased the main plate. You might check to see if some of the machine rebuilders have any take offs. Good luck, if I manage to find any I PM you.

I Might be able to help guide you along the way and even provide you with some material to do it your self. Here is a pic of name plates that I made for a Logan Powermatic 14 x 40 that I did a complete rebuild on. The name plates were pretty much flat pieces of shiny aluminium when I had it delivered. I just recently sold it and bought a HLV-H that I'm currently restoring. I can possibly even do it for you since I have all the original nameplates that I can take measurements off of and get pretty damn close to exact but I don't want to overextend myself and promise something I cant deliver because of the time constraints in life. Let me know your thoughts.
Name plate wiped clean
IMG_4488.jpg

original condition of lathe. You can see quick change gear plate was replaced with a printed version and that was destroyed an unreadable when I got it.
IMG_4400.jpg

Home Made name plates
IMG_2988.jpg
IMG_2990.jpg

Original factory plates I pulled from the web. I took some creative liberties and modified my name plates to suite my machine.
Logan powermatic 6565 threading plate.JPG

The big HARDINGE plate on my HLV appears to have been done with nothing more than coachwork paint.

From 1903 on, the plates were cast brass. I think they tried some etched brass around 1939. I have one cast aluminum plate. Around 1940, they began using two-color molded plastic plates that break easily. Then came the silk-screened black on sheet aluminum plates that they have used for the last decades.

The picture shows the large cast brass and cast aluminum plates that were nailed to the cabinet door on 1940's machines.

Larry

Nameplates, brass and aluminum.jpg

Those cast plates are very nice.

I checked out my big plate more carefully and it's also silk screened but instead of black on a bare plate it's off-white lettering on a solid black background.

Back