What's new
What's new

Authentic Hardinge HLV-H Manuals?

rpseguin

Stainless
Anybody have authentic, real Hardinge HLV-H (and other) manuals they want to sell? (For HLV-H years 1966 and 1970)

I’ve got a call in to Hardinge right now to see about getting real, authentic manuals: bound, high quality heavyweight paper stock. I’m wondering if Hardinge still has the real ones, or if they are simply doing spiral bound printouts now.
I don’t want spiral bound or plastic comb copies or printouts.

There’s tons of people selling presumably bootleg/illegal copies that are just printouts or photocopies. I’d rather buy the real deal.

Examples of presumed bootlegs:

This one shows a picture of an authentic manual (bound, green cover), but I’m certain they are selling copies, as it describes it as plastic comb format...
Hardinge HLV-H Lathe Maintenance Manual hlvh https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004THDO58/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_Ot8eDb5FKVQHJ

HARDINGE HLV-H Metal Lathe Maintenance Manual https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01B6L7BGM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_es8eDbZFR8WNJ

Hardinge HLV-H Super Precision Lathe Operators Manual https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NGW9J74/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_Es8eDbNE8RP60

HARDINGE HLV-H Metal Lathe Maintenance Manual | Ozark Tool Manuals & Books

HARDINGE HLV-H Metal Lathe Maintenance Manual 0342 | eBay

And there’s tons more.

I bought a used 1960 TFB-H in 1984 and phoned Hardinge for information about getting replacement parts. They sent me new paper operator, maintenance and parts manuals for the HLV-H/TFB-H at no charge. Those were the days before free downloads or Internet for anybody, when companies still cared about customer service. I have kept them all these years and am not very interested in selling them.

Ozark claims to print theirs on paper that is similar to the originals and they charge accordingly. I think they say something like they sell reproductions instead of copies. Cute.

Larry

I bought one from Hardinge over 20 years ago when I got my used HLV-H. It was a reprint looks like it was done on a copying machine and has one staple in the corner.
This is after I bought a brand new GT from them plus $20,000 in tooling and accessories. Maybe the reason there are no more originals for sale is Tsugami was buying them up and stamping Tsugami on the front over the Hardinge logo.

When you find an original in good shape why don't you lend it to me. I just want to touch it and flip through the pages and see what the original photos look like. I promise to send it back, too. Really!

Last edited:
Why do you expect to be able to buy an original 50 year ol manual without paying for the machine that it came with?

I don’t expect anything; I _hope_ I can find them. My machines didn’t come with anything other than the original electrical diagrams.
A lot of the reproductions and PDFs are of poor quality.
Having owned other real Hardinge manuals, I know are well done.

When you find an original in good shape why don't you lend it to me. I just want to touch it and flip through the pages and see what the original photos look like. I promise to send it back, too. Really!

I like the quality of the originals.
Most of the reproductions I’ve seen are substandard and a lot of the PDFs are just plain bad.

I’d be happy to! I’m in California, come on by!

I promise that no page of any manual we have available is substandard. Each page looks as good as the original or better, or we just don't make it available.

Hardinge did make some of the best manuals for machinery. I think Cincinnati Mills are probably the only other ones that come close to the Hardinge quality and amount of good information. I know that we have more Hardinge manuals available then anyone else, including Hardinge. I've dealt with people that have large collections of Hardinge machinery and parts, and even past employees. We have a few Hardinge machines in our shop as well.

FYI the original older Hardinge operator manuals were printed smaller than 8.5 x 11. We enlarge them, but we scan in every page at 600 dpi, so they still look great.

I don't blame you for wanting the originals. I like them too. :)

Matt
Ozarktoolmanuals.com

I have a set of the OG one I got from a buddy of mine that is a machine dealer . I’ll ask to see if he has any more that he be willing to sell.

I have a 1983 Maintenance Manual and a 1975 Operator's Manual that were in my 3 hole binder if you don't find the right years for your machines. The maintenance manual is dirty from use. I added a photo of the worst pages. The operators manual is clean. I can send more photos of the dirty pages if needed. Daryl

Attachments

• 20190707_175612_resized.jpg
    20190707_175612_resized.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 76
  • 20190707_175706_resized.jpg
    20190707_175706_resized.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 77
I have a 1983 Maintenance Manual and a 1975 Operator's Manual that were in my 3 hole binder if you don't find the right years for your machines. The maintenance manual is dirty from use. I added a photo of the worst pages. The operators manual is clean. I can send more photos of the dirty pages if needed. Daryl

Those would work for my machines.
I PMed you.

I have a very used and grubby HLV-H/TFB-H parts manual for the Feltham machines starting with serial No 100. It's almost complete with only page 1 missing (which I'm guessing is the cover).

Just putting it out here for reference. If any owners of Feltham machines need a scan of a particular page, I will gladly oblige. Feltham machines may differ in small detail from the US machines.

Back