What's new
What's new

Back gear noise (clattering)

dfgrice

Plastic
Hi all,

I am getting a lot of noise in back gear. I have a Series 1, head serial number J83430. I have searched through the Bridgeport forum and a lot of good info. However, my dilemma does not quite seem to match, maybe....

I removed the cam ring pins. Found no wear. Cam ring grooves look to be in good shape as well. Reinstalled. Found the upper bearing lock nut loose. Tightened it up. Then tried to shift to back gear. The cam ring required a good bit of force to rotate to back gear. I also could not move the pulleys to shift to back gear. They seemed to be locked up. I shifted back to high speed. It operated fine.

I loosened the upper bearing lock nut about 3/4 to 1 turn. Now back gear operates as it should without any noise such as the clattering that I have been experiencing.

I noticed conversations about putting a shim under the cam ring. But since the upper bearing lock nut seems to change the operation I would rather not waste the time to try the shim.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks,
Dale Grice

When your lever is all the way to the right side in back gear force the lever up. If the noise goes away then shove a 3/4 square piece of pine under the lever and push.

I loosened the upper bearing lock nut about 3/4 to 1 turn. Now back gear operates as it should without any noise such as the clattering that I have been experiencing.

I noticed conversations about putting a shim under the cam ring. But since the upper bearing lock nut seems to change the operation I would rather not waste the time to try the shim.

Any thoughts or suggestions?
I had noise until replaced my drive belt. But the timing belt was not changed. I bring this up because the motor and housing had to come off.
I re-greased the ring and used a Browning AX33 belt. I backed out the bearing lock nut 1/4 turn as a guess. It was a good guess.
I thank you for this idea. It doesn't appear logical but it makes the gear train noise totally go away.

I also have worn pins which I am going to replace. The worn thread is a concern but when the pins are full seated there is no issue.

Back