What's new
What's new

Bridgeport 2j vari-Head noise

Jasincole

Plastic
I’ve read a lot of information on this site about noisey heads. Well mine rattles and I’m looking for a more definitive answer on my issue.

The noise is only in hi gear and seems to be much worse at a specific rpm, around 2000 rpm’s it’s loud as hell. It will almost disappear below 1000 rpms and will not sound as bad above 2000 rpms but is still there. I’m pretty sure the clutch dogs are the issue. I’ve had the head apart and the lower dog has some wear, while the upper dog looks to be in pretty good shape. I’ve adjusted the hi-lo lever to increase the engagement of the dogs. This removed almost all of the backlash when I had it tore apart. But upon reassembling and running the head the sound has not changed.

The only thing I have left to try is to ‘float’ the head in. But I’d like to hear what some of the more experienced guys think of my issue.

I also have an issue with my automatic quill feed not disengaging. It’s sticking, but for now my head is the greater concern.

I see you are new to this site. Welcome.
This site is more for professionals and very experienced individuals. Don't get me wrong, it's a great resource.
Your topic comes up about once a week-very common on your mill.
Just my 2 cents but you may find more help here----- The Hobby-Machinist Forum
I have the step pulley. I too had some noise. I found a fix on Hobby Machinists. I was able to eliminate the noise without spending a dime.
Good luck.

Last edited:
All 2J heads will make noise after they get older. All! When was the last time the belt was replaced?

Why do you want to FLOAT the head. IMHO, that's an internet thing that's been propigated by hobiests. Why you'd want to take something apart that was aligned at the factory is beyond me. Somebody will let me know if I'm wrong.

When is the quill feed not disengaging, when it hit's the quill stop? If so, there's an adjustment for that in the manual. Let me guess, you don't have a manual. Go here and get one from Hardinge. KneeMills.com - Knee Mill Documentation
JR

My 2J will need new Plastic Bushings in the Vari Pulley every 2-3 years if I run it every day.If you let it go too long it will wear thru the plastic and then it is metal to metal and you will need a new pulley.Once it starts knocking it will wear thru the plastic pretty quick. Replace the drive belt at same time.

My quill disengage issue is fixed. The detent was sticking when the lever was actuated to disengage. I tore it down cleaned and polished parts. Works like new now.

I’ve always wondered about the bushings. For the price it seems like a good bit of business. I’ll look into it. Thanks!

The belts looked to be in really good condition. I haven’t owned the machine long enough to know the last time the belt was changed. Guess better now than later.

The reason the head was tore down was a bit of practicality. The quill skirt had it’s ears worn off and it got pushed up off the quill leaving a huge gap for debris to enter. That had to be fixed, no questions about it.

Back