Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You could use a block of wood with a 45 degree bevel and rest your file on the bevel. The angle wood be consistent but the depth would have to be judged by eye. Long continuous strokes with even pressure. If it was me I would not check my file skills on a table like yours, I would build a jig out of scrap wood and attach a file to it. I would not use metal for the jig to prevent scratching the table.

2. Likes itsmeBernie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If you want a uniform bevel, machine it. Someone above has suggested to rotate the head and ram on the column and slide the ram out far enough to reach the slots and machine it. Can't be that difficult.

4. Likes itsmeBernie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by moldcore View Post
    If you want a uniform bevel, machine it. Someone above has suggested to rotate the head and ram on the column and slide the ram out far enough to reach the slots and machine it. Can't be that difficult.
    Its not on the machine.. I purchased this as a second table.. I got lucky as it is already so much better than the current one.

Bernie

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I file them too, but wear some leather gloves , those edges get sharp. I'm not a big fan of Blanchard grinding the tables though. Cheaper, but to me that looks bad. Bernie, LTNS..... :-)

Will take maybe 10 minutes to file it with a rough bastard file and then 5 min with a smooth cut. Rich

7. Likes itsmeBernie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I agree regarding the " Blanchard " grinding. When I was first starting out a customer sent out the ram off a big ( 21" stroke ) slotter for grinding. I left the job in their hands expecting it to be surface ground. In fact the back two ways of the ram were ground on the British version of a " Blanchard " grinding machine called a " Lumsden " .

It came back with a 0.003" dip in the middle of the ram ways that I had to scrape out. If your table is parallel you've done very well.

Regards Tyrone.

9. Likes Richard King, JRIowa, itsmeBernie liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Connecticut
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by itsmeBernie View Post
    Its not on the machine.. I purchased this as a second table.. I got lucky as it is already so much better than the current one.

Bernie
    It could be

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

11. Likes itsmeBernie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks Folks
    It is taking me ages to get to this. I know the official way, at the factory, was to machine the deep bevels. I see that you are all down with filing, or machining in place. I am sure I will be fine with one of those methods, and I plan to use the machine, so whatever it looks like when I finish it, it will not stay that way forever, either way.
    I may make up that tool holder that Mud suggested and posted the thread. I may also make a little jig to hold files at 45, so I can get a nice, consistent cut. Otherwise, I am sure I will achieve a nice radius! hah hah
    I will post pics of the final job, and what I did, for the record.

Thanks Everyone

Bernard