What's new
What's new

BJ2 Varispeed backgear

SUPERPOT

Plastic
Can anyone please advise me on the correct procedure on how to set up \ adjust the High \ Neutral \ Low Lever for the backgear? I am either getting the shaft rubbing on the top of the aluminum grease cover in Low gear or rubbing on the underside of the aluminum plate in High gear. Am I missing something simple here? I am looking at this without the covers on. Would that make any difference in the setting up of the lever? I.E. does it all have to be assembled to obtain the right position with the preload of the very top cover bearing which may affect the position?

TIA

"does it all have to be assembled to obtain the right position?"

The bull gear stays engaged with the small pinion gear at all times.
Before reassembly, move the Hi-Lo lever to the Hi detent in the plate.
This should be a position that locates the bull gear just below the aluminum cover.
If the Bull gear contacts the aluminum cover:
Remove the splined Hi-Lo lever assembly and re-install at a slightly different "clock position."
It is a trial and error adjustment.

If the machine is assembled:
Put it in Hi, pull the shaft #53. Move a tooth or two, reinstall the shaft.

Best fit is when the two hubs are fully engaged for Hi Range and when the bull gear does not rub the aluminum cover.
Installation of the top cover with the upper spindle bearing does not change the position of the spindle.
Assembly Dwg splined shaft.jpgBridgeport Hi-Low.JPGHi - Lo Plate .jpgHi-Low Plate.JPG
John

Thanks John, I'll give it a try this morning,

So if I am understanding this correctly the bull gear moves upwards towards the aluminum cover until it engages in the teeth to drive the High range and just drops down to be clear so that in Low range its just running off the timing belt?

regards, Jeff

Last edited:
Thanks John, I'll give it a try this morning,

So if I am understanding this correctly the bull gear moves upwards towards the aluminum cover until it engages in the teeth to drive the High range and just drops down to be clear so that in Low range its just running off the timing belt?

regards, Jeff

Yes that is correct.

Back