What's new
What's new

BP Erickson quick change 30 tooling compatibility with NMTB 30 if modified?

Green machinist

Plastic
I just bought an old BP boss. Not sure exactly what year or boss #. Its a series 1 head with what i have come to believe is a BP Erickson quick change 30 spindle. I have started cleaning it up and am currently hooking it up to stepper drivers and Manual pulse generators to essentially turn it into a manual mill sorta. What if any tool holders are interchangeable with qc30? NMTB30 and turn down the diameter of the shoulder/flange that the dogs engage in and adjust the tool holing tabs in the quill to tighten on the thinner tool holder shoulder/flange that NMTB30 has. I think that is a good option but have only seen one person every say that was possible on here. I am aware that the BP QC30 will no longer fit if I adjust the tool holding tabs on the quill but I'm Starting off with no tool holders so I'm OK with that.
At some point I'll add mach 3 to bring it back to its full CNC functionality.
Especially since adding mach and a break out board is the same price as a DRO

Proof of concept electromagnetical manual retrofit boss and getting it cleaned up.
She's alive!!! Turning a cnc mill into a electromecanical manual mill - YouTube

Thanks for any help

Many but not all nmtb is already qc compatible. If it is not it can be modified, but not all can be modified. Erickson even has the instructions on how to modify it. The off is online if you search. I can scan and send it to you.

But a lot of Nmtb is compatible because it was easier just to make it compatible instead of making 2 different 30 tapers, if you buy new ask. If buying used its a gamble but easily modified.

I'm going to list several qc30 tools over the weekend for sale as well

erickson qc uses rotating lock nut to seat toolholder
iso 30 tooling has thicker flange cross section--typically 0.060 in--
so turning or grinding flange will allow generic 30 taper to seat in spindle bore of #30 erickson

the inclined plane in the erickson spindle will accommodate no more than
0.015 thickness variation--so you must be fastidious in flange reduction

iso 30 is made for draw bars while erickson uses locknut seating

system in video is based on principle I came up with 21 years ago-
do search for BiFi-emc on this website for more info
I have owned 30 BP Boss mills with 9 currently in stock--
both erickson and kwik switch universal 200 tapers

Ok here is what I got to sell at the moment if your interested. I think this will be the last of what I sell, I'm probably keeping the rest for myself. Anyway, all Erickson brand with one from lyndex. 4-da300 collet chucks, 4-da180 collet chucks, 2-3/4" endmill holders, 1-3/8" endmill holder. And 1 nmtb30 I think 3/8" unknown brand, not qc compatible but can be turned to work.
265 shipped, paid PayPal
Thanks sam

Back