What's new
What's new

BP Lower Clamping Bolt Spacer

MyLilMule

Hot Rolled
The project Bridgeport I have is missing the two lower clamping bolt spacers. Is there anything special about these, like a taper or anything? I can't tell just by looking at the hole, and I already have the head mounted partially and really don't want to take it off. I'd just as soon go ahead and make some on the lathe.

31NKimrM%2BXL.jpg

They apparently go into these two holes:

IMG_3670.jpg

My first Bridgeport and I've never worked on one before.

You typically just crack the four bolts loose when you need to rotate the head to whatever degree mark, then re-tighten them. Not gorilla tight, just a wrench and your hand.

The part from H & W:
1432 - Lower Clamping Bolt Spacer

I'd say OD large enough just to fit in hole and not allow debris in. But not so large that you need to hammer it in.

Maybe a minor beveled edge toward interior, so if it mushrooms its not stuck. Leave it square on exterior, or minor interior bevel.

I know what the bolts are for. I'm putting the machine back together. The head was off when I bought it. I've got it back on, but if I can make the spacers, I see no reason to buy them. I am looking for input from someone that actually knows any details on the spacers.

Thanks. Just wanted to be sure. I made the spacers and remounted the head today. The head still needs a lot of work - a bunch of missing parts on it. It's 98% there. But I wanted to remount the head to get a better idea of what parts I will need to get.

IMG_3674.jpgIMG_3677.jpgIMG_3678.jpg

There's a local machine rebuilder near me (Lee's Machinery) that has a treasure trove of used parts that I can get for a lot less than new. He's fixing the 2HP motor right now, and I'd like to get it running again over the summer/fall/winter - I'm in no rush and have some other projects in front of this one that are going to take priority.

Back