What's new
What's new

BP Mill Oil System

Can'tWeld

Aluminum
Guys I am cleaning my oil system on mill cause it just don't look like all areas is getting enough oil.So I have remove the manifold and clean it which there was some nastys inside it.So I pulled the orifice's which are #0,#1's.As I am cleaning them I am using a dental pic and probing around on both sides removing what looks like oil hard oil.But on the inlet side of each orifice there seems to be maybe a piece of felt in each one.Is this some kind of filter or is this just pieces of felt that came from the oil pump screen?I know it don't show up well but out of one I remove this small piece which looks like felt or just some trash.So is this part of each orifice,if so what is it there for?I'm wanting to remove it cause I think this is the reason why some areas getting oil and other areas are not.I have check the 5/32 lines and they are free.Thanks for any suggestions

Attachments

• IMG_0871.jpg
    IMG_0871.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_0872.jpg
    IMG_0872.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 93
Guys I am cleaning my oil system on mill cause it just don't look like all areas is getting enough oil.So I have remove the manifold and clean it which there was some nastys inside it.So I pulled the orifice's which are #0,#1's.As I am cleaning them I am using a dental pic and probing around on both sides removing what looks like oil hard oil.

But on the inlet side of each orifice there seems to be maybe a piece of felt in each one.
Is this some kind of filter or is this just pieces of felt that came from the oil pump screen?
I know it don't show up well but out of one I remove this small piece which looks like felt or just some trash.
So is this part of each orifice,if so what is it there for?
I'm wanting to remove it cause I think this is the reason why some areas getting oil and other areas are not.
I have check the 5/32 lines and they are free.Thanks for any suggestions

Answers to your many questions.

It is a felt filter in the inlet to the metering unit.
There is probably very fine solids or oil that has turned to varnish that has plugged the metering units.
Normally all units are all replaced during cleanup. When plugged even partially, oil flow is much reduced.
Removing the felt and reusing the units is not going to clean the plugged restriction that is built into the metering unit.

Before ordering parts, you should address the lube pump.
L5P pumps have a felt suction filter, that when plugged will restrict the oil flow into the pump.
When operating the lever it takes many seconds to fill the cylinder for a full stroke.
If it has a plastic tank, do not use anything stronger than mineral spirits to clean it. Acetone or lacquer thinner will destroy the plastic.

Bill

I have never known anyone who has had luck cleaning those. I have not tried my ultrasonic, but I have serious doubts. It's best to replace.

As Bill said, clean the oiler also and make certain that the correct oil (way lube) is used. Also the lines, clean or better yet replace. I've seen more BPs wrecked because they weren't getting enough oil.

Just one of the joys of owning machine tools.
JR

New mill? You must have lots of excess money!
I need to clean and oil mine today. Almost 30 years old, probably should replace. Don't know how much backlash it has, I've got DROs so I never look. It's got a bunch of chips in the paint. Maybe I should start a "Gofundme" site?
JR

New mill? You must have lots of excess money!
I need to clean and oil mine today. Almost 30 years old, probably should replace. Don't know how much backlash it has, I've got DROs so I never look. It's got a bunch of chips in the paint. Maybe I should start a "Gofundme" site?
JR

I don't even own a mill so there's that lol

When I was first starting out, I had no money and next to no tools. That's one of the first things that I asked when I was looking for a tool making job: "can I come in after hours?" I've got a ton of stuff I made that way. Guys wanted to "borrow" my tools because they helped a lot at set-up. I'd tell them; "you can join me tonight, I'll be building more"
JR

When I was first starting out, I had no money and next to no tools. That's one of the first things that I asked when I was looking for a tool making job: "can I come in after hours?" I've got a ton of stuff I made that way. Guys wanted to "borrow" my tools because they helped a lot at set-up. I'd tell them; "you can join me tonight, I'll be building more"
JR

Yep, still do it lol. I'd love a cnc'd Bridgeport in the basement.

The fun is figuring out how to do stuff without any CNC.
Secondly, if you want a CNC, don't get a converted BP.
JR

Eh I've worked with them for years, kinda grown close to them :)

But I digress, most of what I do is on a good ol bport with a power x. and a Haas vm2 and a mits wire lol.

Back