What's new
What's new

BP Power Feed Motor 8F

Can'tWeld

Aluminum
Guys I want to replace the cord but don't know how without taking it all apart.I was thinking that maybe grip the plastic connector on the cord and try popping it out hoping that there is enough wire to make new connection.Has anyone replace their cord if so how did you go about it?

Attachments

• IMG_0683 (2).jpg
    IMG_0683 (2).jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 147
The plastic grommet has a piece that pops out. And allows the grommet to be removed, most likely it will be stuck and get pretty mangled. Only a few bucks to replace. The cord does not have much extra inside and housing will probably crack, you will have to take it apart and replace whole cord redoing the connection. If I'm following your question right. Probably a good idea to replace the brushes while your doing it

Thanks Sam,yea I was wanting to replace the cord without having to take it apart but looks like I will have to.Going to look for a drawing of the motor first see what's what so no surprises.Guessing I can get brushes from H&W.

If my experience is typical there will probably be lots of carbon dust inside the motor. Old newspaper or similar on the bench to make it easy to clean up afterwards. Or put one of those big, rectangular, translucent storage buckets up on the bench and work inside that. I keep one about 30 x 18 x 12 inches for dirty and "spring escape" type jobs.

Thin latex work gloves might be good idea too if you can work OK with them on (I can't abide them). The fine carbon dust easily ingrains in skin and under nails an is a right pain to wash off. Barrier cream isn't that effective in my experience.

Clive

Last edited:
Thanks guys I think I am going to tackle it,and replace the bushes while I have it apart.Found a pic of what it looks like taken apart don't see anything thats would make this a repair beyond my abilities.

Attachments

• Bridgeport_Feed_017-640.jpg
    Bridgeport_Feed_017-640.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 102
When you have it apart, keep an eye out for cracked insulation and heat-shrink it. Those stupid cables are notorious for that. Taking it apart and putting it back together is not that hard at all, do it all the time.

Jon
H&W Machine Repair

Guys got it apart this morning and dang to the carbon buildup,Jon thanks for the heat shrink ideal they were all crack in several places.The brushes look good but I am still thinking about replacing them and I see that H&W has them.But how do you get them out,push them towards the center?I put a socket on the outside of the bushing housing and tap on it but did not move any.I did loosen the setscrew that holds them in.Other than wiping this down to clean anything else needs to be done to it?Should I get some very fine sandpaper and clean the commutator?Part that the brushes ride on.Edit-I can't find the 8F motor brushes,maybe it was another website?

Attachments

• IMG_0692.jpg
    IMG_0692.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_0691.jpg
    IMG_0691.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_0693.jpg
    IMG_0693.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:
There is probably thos stupid little black rubber stoppers in the brush holder. Use a flathead screwdriver to pry them outta there and then toss them. Push outwards from the inside. Typically the brushes are the very first thing I take out when I rebuild these.

Here is the link to the brushes.

38-281 - Motor Brush (Set of 2)

Jon
H&W Machine Repair

Back