What's new
What's new

BP powerfeed won’t run but should because...

Cannonmn

Stainless
SYMPTOMS: THE POWER FEED SYSTEM INSTALLED ON BRIDGEPORT VERTICAL MILL J-head, s/n 12/BP 123070 SHOWS NO SIGN OF PROPER OPERATION. WHEN TURNED ON THE SWITCHES ON THE POWER FEED CONTROL UNIT DO NOTHING, AS IF THEY WERE NOT CONNECTED TO ANYTHING.
TEST TO SEE CONTINUITY BETWEEN PINS FROM POWER FEED CONTROL UNIT. ALL TESTS WERE PERFORMED ON MALE CONNECTOR FROM POWER FEED CONTROL UNIT WITH LOGIC/POWER SUPPLY BOARD REMOVED. SPEED DIAL WAS SET TO MAX (35 IN/SEC). SOME PINS REGISTERED PARTIAL CONTINUITY (586 OHMS) POSSIBLY A RESULT OF THE ELECTRIC MOTOR. Here’s a chart of our switch test results. The motor runs fine in either direction when we put a voltmeter across the * contacts shown, which unfortunately are never connected by the present wiring to the switches. We just had the board, p/n F6120, s/n 28487, overhauled by Galco. It did the same nothing before the overhaul. 72DA687E-C963-40AD-8FB3-AFDB40C0D199.jpgAdvice?

Link to better photo E9E737F6-5D7D-4C00-94CF-9C4102B89A6C | Intel

Diagram of male pins on plug leading to switches. 41B2B717-1F82-4BF2-97EB-ABF59ED4272E | Intel

Last edited:
I think you are looking way too into it. If it is working in neither direction, look for what is common between it all... Possible issues are bad circuit board, bad motor, bad wiring. Just because a board got "overhauled" doesnt mean it even works.

What sort of ohms are you getting from black to red on your motor? White to green(green if its 4 wire motor, brown if its a 5 wire motor)? Do you have a wiring diagram to ensure that you are hooked up properly? Check your reversing switches. Ensure that when you are in neutral, that both switches are in their normal state (NO is op and NC is closed). When you actuate one switch with the handle, does that switch flip so that NO is closed and NC is open? When going back to neutral, does the switch go back to normal position without having to wiggle the handle?

Personally I would check the wiring first. A miswired power feed can fry the circuit board, so can mis-aligned or shorted switches.

If you need a wiring diagram, email me at [email protected] and I can send you the wiring diagram.

Jon
H&W Machine Repair

38C473E7-F6B9-4A83-847A-D93F692F5E3E.jpgQ: What sort of ohms are you getting from black to red on your motor?

A: The meter read 1.6 ohms between black and red and sounded as if there was 100% continuity.

Q: Ohms between white and green? What kind of motor do you have (4 wire/5 wire)?

A: 586 ohms between white and green (with tracer) nothing between white and green. It appears we have a 4 wire motor.

Q: When you actuate one switch with the handle, does that switch flip so that NO is closed and NC is open? When going back to neutral, does the switch go back to normal position without having to wiggle the handle?

A: Yes you can hear the switches clicking and the change in continuity patterns on the pins going to the board back this. The handle doesn’t need to be wiggle and the switches seem to be operational.

Here’s pic with directional control moved to the left. Really it shows the general condition of the wiring and contacts inside to be good. The one disconnected plug is only disconnected because it had to be so when the cover was removed.

Hi all. I recently started helping out with this project. It looks like everything is wired the way it is supposed to be based on the attached diagram. I traced every wire and checked continuity. One thing I did note when tracing connections is that when I had the multimeter on ground (pin12) and checked pin 4, the motor turned on at half speed. While powered, I could verify that the lever moved the table left and right and pushing the button for pin 4 would then speed it to full speed. I also checked the 500 ohm POT and saw a reading of 490 from pin 9 to 10 in one direction and 0 in the other. I saw the opposite from pin 10 to 11 which leads me to believe the potentiometer is working correctly.

For the pin outs, I checked power on each pin when plugged in and connected. Here are the DC voltages I got below. On note, the first time I tested, I was getting +- 60 volts DC instead of the +- 110 that are listed below. Not sure why.

01 = -117
02 = -117
03 = 110
04 = (starts the motor when connected at -62 volts)
05 = -116
06 = 0
07 = 104
08 = 0
09 = -110
10 = -113
11 = -113
12 = 0

Bridgeport Seco Power Feed BptFeed06.jpg

Back