Restored 42' Hardinge TL
Close
Login to Your Account
Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Posts
    517
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    11
    Likes (Received)
    85

    Default Restored 42' Hardinge TL

    I've had this TL, S/N 18651, for quite a few years but was missing the entire original drive and have hoping one would turn up. A local machinist was parting out a DV59 this summer and I made a deal for the motor, shieves, countershaft, and controls. Not exactly the original single drum switch but pretty close and works the same. The original step shieves were aluminum but the DV59 had phenolic and I used those. Every component was stripped, cleaned, inspected, and repaired. I finished a while back and will try to attach a few pics. I took a lot of pictures through the process and here are a very few. Ed.

    img_1690.jpgimg_1870.jpgimg_2073.jpgimg_2271.jpgimg_2247.jpg

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Posts
    517
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    11
    Likes (Received)
    85

    Default

    I do have one question about the cabinet storage shelfs. My lathe came with what may be original plywood shelfs but it also had cut out boards that would locate where items sit on the shelfs Chucks, tooling, and a few wrenches. The "shadow boards" look homemade to me but I wonder if anyone has noticed similar storage features in the cabinet, other than the collet rack, they think may have been original. I am likely to put something back in to organize the area. Maybe a drawer with a top for sitting chucks on. I am interested any original features too though. Ed.

    img_2279.jpgimg_2361.jpgimg_2230.jpgimg_2240.jpgimg_2198.jpg

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    Posts
    791
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    699
    Likes (Received)
    97

    Default

    Nice job!
    Paint looks very smooth. What paint and primer did you use and how did you apply it?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Posts
    517
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    11
    Likes (Received)
    85

    Default

    Thanks rspeguin. I'm not sure if it was because Hardinge made this lathe after the start of WW2 or what but the castings were all left pretty rough. It took quite a bit of flap sanding and then I mostly used some Devcon for filler but a bit of JB and Bondo as well. Primer was a high build two part mix. For paint I used 3/4 gallon of Martin Senour Cross Fire Urethane in Laguna green. I picked the paint mostly because the local NAPA store carries it and the gal who runs paint sales is very helpful and even helped me pick the color. I may be a little color blind. Paint has gotten more expensive since the last time I bought some but I have enough left to do at least a couple more machines. Sprayed of course...I prefer it over brushing and clean up only takes a few minutes. Ed.

    img_1931.jpgimg_2414.jpgimg_1934.jpgimg_1864.jpgimg_1866.jpg

  5. Likes DJ2 liked this post
  6. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    emporium pa
    Posts
    460
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    26
    Likes (Received)
    161

    Default

    Ed,
    Mighty nice looking TL. I have a TL SN 21176, Somewhere I got info that it is a 1943. It has plywood shelves but no cutouts like your pics. Also my large pulleys are phenolic not aluminum. I also put an aftermarket Royal lever action collet closer on mine similar to your mounting. I use this machine often, it sets up quick and cuts nice in it's range. I use the adjustable twist-lock red belts so the spindle does not need to be removed in event of needing changed.
    spaeth

  7. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Posts
    517
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    11
    Likes (Received)
    85

    Default

    Thanks for the response spaeth. Sounds like your TL is set up very much like mine. I've got a feeling plain plywood was what they came with for shelfs, at least in the early 40's. Had I just lost the belts I probably would have went with the link belt replacements also. Now that I've had the headstock apart though it really isn't that big of a job. Much easier to get off than the gear box where you have the feed rod and lead screw to contend with. Here is a pic of the TL brochure showing plain cabinet shelfs. Also a TL S/N chart and the phenolic motor pulley and the aluminum pair. Ed.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails img_1754.jpg   img_2307.jpg   tm-um-hc-early-tl-2-.jpg   img_2404.jpg  

  8. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Posts
    517
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    11
    Likes (Received)
    85

    Default

    It was a rainy day yesterday so I took some time off of my outside project to finish cleaning up the tooling and put the shelfs in the cabinet. I used edge glued pine for the shelf wood cut the top shelf back just a little in front so I don't have to bend down quite as far to see into the bottom. I also added a simple LED light which works pretty well at lighting up the drive as well as the shelf area. Still need to pick up a better tool post for this lathe but took some test cuts and am satisfied with it. Time to move on to the next project. Ed.

    img_2462.jpgimg_2464.jpgimg_2466.jpgimg_2465.jpgimg_2469.jpg


Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •