What's new
What's new

BP Series 1 step pulley back gear problem questions

FlyinChip

Aluminum
hi all,

I asked how to operate the back gear and did not get an answer and a search here and youtube to no avail.

There is a back gear lever on the right side and some kind of clutch on top that I dont know how to use, BUT I know something not right. The spindle spins, and in back gear reverses BUt with no torque. I dont know what is not engaging. I am guessing that the gears are working not that "clutch" thing on top.

But the gears are making a rattle so maybe issue there as well.

I have looked over the j head exploded diagram but it's quite busy at that clutch area.

Look at this video, and what can I do first to determine what is the issue? I also dont know how that clutch is used so if someone could tell me, that would help.

thanks!

YouTubeYouTube

OK partially answered my own question by experimenting.

It seems that top clutch engages and disengages direct drive for using the back gear.

TO USE BACK GEAR: Engage back gear lever (right rear of power head) then move that sloppy collar (cam ring) to the right and it lifts one of the inner rings to disengage direct drive.

TO USE DIRECT DRIVE: Set back gear to disengage (rearward position) and move cam ring lever to left to drop that clutch ring and engage direct drive.

There is an issue where the mechanism is tight, and that cam ring collar thing is too sloppy. I used a pair of screwdrivers to assist lifting the clutch ring to disengage for back gear. Then moving the slotted collar left, the clutch ring doesnt want to drop unless tapped with something. Then I had to manually move the spindle to mesh the mechanism.

I sprayed some PB blaster around the clutch rings and it soaked in, may have freed it a bit but will I have to disassemble this unit to really fix it? Also with a VFD, will I really need back gear at all I wonder?

Yes that thread did not include and explanation *how* it is used,. I have figured it out as mentioned above.

But now the clutch doesnt want to move easily up and down, and hoping for some advice on how to loosen it back up that up before I disassemble the whole head which I am hoping to avoid. So this thread is now more "how to fix" rather than "how to use".

Thanks!

Last edited:
Also with a VFD, will I really need back gear at all I wonder?

Using the motor to govern the speed of the spindle can potentially overheat the motor at really low speeds since the motors used on BPs are fan cooled and designed to run at single speed. Also know that running the motor at lower speeds with a VFD reduces the power of the motor. Turning a bigger drill may cause the motor to stall depending on the size of the motor.

I sprayed some PB blaster around the clutch rings and it soaked in, may have freed it a bit but will I have to disassemble this unit to really fix it? Also with a VFD, will I really need back gear at all I wonder?

The problem with that is any crud has now settled further down inside.
The design of the head leaves the top area exposed and if the machine is in a dirty environment the crud just settles on top and works it's way down.

Okay thanks guys that's helpful. I guess I had a suspicion that if I really wanted low RPM torque the back gear would be called for.

Any advice about taking this apart would be nice but I could also watch a YouTube video I'm sure there are lots of those too.

Here:
YouTube
H&W Machine Repair, great guys, that will answer questions if you call and ask. Not affiliated with them but have bought parts and received a bunch of help from them.

Back