Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Colorado
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Bridgeport 2J1.5 back gear adjustment

I have noticed a small issue with the back gear position adjustment on my 2J1.5 after I rebuilt it. I set it so that the bull gear is as low as possible when when in the reverse position. However it doesn't go down far enough to be completely flush with the back gear, by about 0.10". Normally not a big deal, runs fine with minimal noise. High gear locks in and runs fine.

From my understanding, there is supposed to be a lower detent in the back gear selector that stops at the point where the drive is fully in neutral. However on mine, the position where the drive is in neutral is well below the point where I expected that detent to be. I would like to be able to put it into neutral without having one hand tied up holding the selector in place. Any recommendations for what to check or change?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

For the Variable Speed, not the step pulley mill.
    Perhaps the timing of the splined shaft (53) is the problem.
    The plate for the Hi-Neutral-Lo selector is made with a detent for Hi, Neutral, and Lo..
    The spacing is predetermined so the radial splines (parts 31 and 33) will not scrape or engage when choosing the
    neutral position.
    The old style plate had a small sub-plate (65) that would move the detent position for Hi Range to account for wear in the radial splines.
    hi-lo-plate-.jpghi-low-plate.jpgassembly-dwg-splined-shaft.jpg
    John